Audiogon sellers, please stop and read this thread

I had a couple listings last week and I received one e-mail from a potential buyer to instruct me to contact him via his private e-mail right away.

I was offered to be paid by Cashier Check rather than Paypal.
I accepted the term that the buyer would have his "agent" to pick up the units for sale. In term, I told the buyer I would only accept the Cashier Check from major banks.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from the buyer instructing me to deposit the Cashier Check one I receive it BUT since the Cashier Check was made by his "financier" for more than the sale price, the buyer wanted me to cash out the difference and send a Moneygram to his "agent" so his" agent" can pick up the merchandise and the buyer thanked me for my " corporation".

I demand to know if the Cashier Check was made from major banks or not and how much is the difference between the sale price and the amount of the Cashier Check. I have not heard a response from him since then.

What's up? Was I born yesterday or is it a case of innocence
'till proven guilty?
andrewdoan
The responses all have a similar flavor and verbiage to them, and always feel suspect (esp if they are suggesting payment in any form of check). I have noticed too that I never got these with the old Audiogon, now it seems like I get at least one for every item I put up for sale. Audiogon must have somehow opened themselves up to the internet at large with the changes.

I have complained to Agon about this through their blog and directly via email -- they need to create an easy way through the interface for the seller to flag and report any suspicious offers as spam. Even Craigslist has this type of thing in place.

Al is also right -- never email them back.
Great response Operatenore. I hope someone can explain what is going on here. I kind of wish A'gon addressed this issue and then did something about it. They did want more ads to appear throughout the site with the upgrade.

THolt also brings up some good points about reporting this kind of acitivity for A'gon a lot easier. It should be easier and hopefully with more reporting A'gon can fix the problem.

Sad Craigslist has something better in place than A'gon for reporting.
Only-one-ell, that was exactly the same language and the style that of the e-mail that I have received.

With the same scheme to ask me to deposit in my bank and Moneygram the excess funds.

This is the information from the sender not the buyer that they used :

Ashley M.Murray
5 randy ct.
Baltimore,MD 21220

The check is drawn from Huntington natl'bank in Canton, Ohio 44718.

The payee is: Russ Kiko Assc. Inc., 2805 Fulton dr. NW, Canton Ohio 44718.

Your "James" guy is my Patrick scammer. LOL!
Awww.... thank you(!) member Jedinite24 for the acknowledgement: just tryin' to get a handle on what the implementation of the "new" a'gon has wrought on us all, regardless of length of term.

Between the numerous offerings from zero feedback members with "stock" photos - as someone previously noted in this thread - the scamming (two out of three of my recent offers were summarily "attacked",) has increased. After the decade+ existence of this venue, it seems more than coincidental: whereas my previous tracking blocker yielded from the "cgi" (cgi.audiogon.com) implementation of this site no more than one per page, the "app", i.e. app.audiogon.com, is up to nine(!) I'm unsure if this is coincidental, which I why I hoped that someone more technically savvy than I would contribute...

I believe, though, there was something of a misinferrence regarding member Tholt's post, or a misimplication: C'list allows one to flag a post/offering (of goods/services) that one deems to be fraudulent...(?) (that's a whole 'nother can of worms other than the obviously redundant/prostitutional/"other" categories. There is no way, in my most recent experience - as most people are contacted through their hidden emails - that one can alert C'list to warrantedly fraudulent contacts (someone please correct me if things have changed in the last several weeks...)

Thanks again Jedinite24,

operatenore
I had an offer to buy from a guy with zero feedback, who just moved from Calif. to Canada. He would have his assistant mail me a Cashier Check from his Bank in New York. He told me to take my AD off Audiogon since he going to buy my item. I email him back that I will only take a US Postal Money order for payment. He has not responeded back. This is another version of the same scam.

I won't make the mistake of even responding to the email request next time. Thanks for letting us know about this scum.