Room treatment made me cry.......a little........

I recently purchased some GIK bass traps (6), diffusion panels (2), wall panels (8) and removed my TV from the room. The TV was located between the speakers. I will update my virtual system pictures next week.

I simply could not believe how much my music improved. While listening to Peter Gabriel I teared up as I was more emotionally connected to the music then ever before in my music room. . Same system and room - new acoustically treated room. I have listened to his Scratch My Back CD many times, but never like this.

I write this post as I want others to know that this investment is perhaps the best investment I have made in my music in 30 years. Amazing and not expected, at least not this level of improvement and emotional connection.

I knew my system always sounded great, but now...................it makes me tear up.
128x128grannyring
I find it hard to believe that the wall panels are any different from other Reynolds 703 fiberglass panels, even the home made ones. The bass panels are 4" thick rather than 2" - I could see that making a difference. Have you tried diffusors before, in all your trials? I think that could make a BIG difference.
Panels make a difference. The homemade ones you mention and others do not absorb as evenly accross the frequency spectrum. GIK panels are 5.5 inches thick for the 244 panel. The monster bass panel is 6 inches deep.

So instead of absorbing just the highs and taking all the life out of the music they are more broadband and greatly improve focus and reduce smearing. Look at the provided test results and compare to others and you will quickly find GIK panels perform much better.

My ears proved it for me. I have used the rock wool and rigid fiberglass products and they simply don't compare.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with Grannyring hearing or perception ... the differences he is hearing between the livelier GIK traps and his former Echo Buster and DIY attempts may be that the GIK traps are using a FRK (Kraft Paper facing) glued to the face of the ridge fiber board before covering the fiberboard/traps

This FRK facing will reflect some of the Mid and Treble energy back into the room due to it’s reflective nature and may be the reason that Grannyring is hearing a livelier presentation with the GIK traps vs Echo Buster’s and his DIY attempts

LOL as I also have college and post college aged children. They come back for a season and then scatter

Money isn’t everything ... but it sure keeps the children in close touch (;-)
Ok, I placed an additional tri bass trap and monster bass trap behind me. Very nice indeed. Things are sounding very good indeed. I really like the GIK stuff. I purchased more then I needed however and will end selling some panels and one tri trap soon.

My final quest is what to do with my ceiling? Should I diffuse? I think so as my ceiling is 7.5 feet high. Not sure where to place these, but I assume at the spot I see my speaker's tweeters and mid drivers when using a mirror from my listening seat?
Bill, call GIK (toll free) they can give you some placement ideas about your room demensions and ceiling treatments if you haven't already.