My experience at Acoustic Image

I just wanted to say a few words about my recent experience with Elliot Midwood at Acoustic Image in Los Angeles. It was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had with a dealer, and it reminded me of the value of brick and mortar.

I knew nothing about Elliot or Acoustic Image when I was given his information by the U.S. Dali distributor. I purchased some in-wall Dali speakers from Elliot over the phone and picked them up a week later. He turned out to be one of the nicest guys I've met in the audio business.

We sat down in his impressively built listening room for a brief demo of the equipment that happened to be hooked up at the time. I was unfamiliar with almost every component in the system. 30 seconds into the first track I knew it was going to be one of the best demos I've ever heard.

The experience at Acoustic Image reminded me of the value of a local dealer, IF that dealer is in it for the love of audio, rather than the love of money. That certainly describes my impression of Elliot.

I hope my comments aren't interpreted as a shill. I have no personal relationship with Elliot. I have no financial relationship with Acoustic Image, or any other audio company for that matter. I just wanted to share my experience with other A'goners. It was one of the best I've had in this hobby.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
I had a very similar experience with Elliot. Great demo and extremely nice person.
I too bought from Elliot-- some 20 years ago-- when he had his own shop on Ventura.He later started doing things from home.
I was never comfortable at some one's own house ( I just think of myself as an intrusion)+ I always know any dealer needs to make money/or else.)--- But, yep, Elliot was always fun
I can understand why you wouldn't feel comfortable at someone's house. I expected to feel the same way, but Elliot was so easy going, and his custom built listening room was so well executed, that during the demo I forgot I was at his house.

bc
I've been to Elliot's several times and always felt welcomed, if not expected. He's one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet and his ears are among the best in the business.

I, too, remember his shop on Ventura and felt like I was intruding, at first, at his home, but now I look forward to any time I get to go and listen. I auditioned my Tonian Labs at his place and spent quite a bit of time there before committing and never felt rushed. He even brought them over to my place and set them up for me.

I've brought over gear for him to listen to when he has the time and appreciated his feedback. He's a rare breed nowadays.
If you're ever there, check out his Remington sculpture.