Best steak to eat while listening to your rig?

One of life's little pleasures for me is grilling a nice steak, grabbing a satisfying Argentine Malbec or California Cabernet, and parking myself in front of my hi-fi for some musical enjoyment. It really doesn't get much better than this (unless it's raining or snowing outside -- that's icing on the cake).

So, what are your favorite home-cooked steaks and how do you prefer to prepare them? For me, I find that a ribeye or porterhouse from my local Wegman's is fantastic. I season it with Montreal steak seasoning and grill it for about 8 minutes per side (4 minutes in the 10 o'clock position and 4 minutes in the 2 o'clock position). I've played with grilling for less time and finishing in the oven, but don't feel it adds much.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
i watched a tv program last night, whose subject was the "last heart attack". dr. sanjay gupta was speaking to president clinton about his recent surgeries, i.e., bypass and stent.

during the conversation several surgeons and dr dean ornish were featured.

the purpose of the program was to suggest that a diet free of animal protein, including fish, was ideal for heart attack prevention. if it has a mother don't eat it eas the advise provided by several cardiologists/cardiac surgeons.

a word to the wise ?

i intend to seriously reduce meat, chicken and dairy consumption.

ideally, being a vegan is the answer, but it is not easy to attain sufficient protein, or in some cases avoid anemia, unless one is clever about the selection of vegetable protein.
I grilled 2 steaks (one for each of my date and I) on Saturday evening as we prepared to wait out Irene. (We weren't hit too badly here in Baltimore, but there was plenty of driving rain for a while.) It was raining somewhat when I was out grilling, which is actually kind of fun.

We had grilled Porterhouses (from my local Safeway, nothing fancy) at 7 minutes per side, and a juice of simmered beef broth, garlic, sage, thyme, and rosemary added while they were resting. We had a bottle of Clos Pegase Cabernet Savingon (from Napa) and it made for a great start to the wet weekend.

Rrog: It's good to hear that someone else has similar tastes as me. If you're in the Baltimore area sometime, drop me a line and we'll enjoy the steak + wine.

Trelja: Good to hear from you, Joe! And it's great that the good doctor has taught you something about cooking that you've been able to take with you. Salting steak is one of those divisive issues, but I tend to lean toward your camp.

Tmsorosk: I'm with you on the Porterhouse, but I haven't heard of drip drying. Is that how you get the steak, or is it something you need to do to it once you've purchased it?

Michael
You have to drip them yourself , in the fridge , unless your eating at a first class restaurant where they do it for you .
which veggie burger people like.
That'll be even shorter than a tape of the Tonight Show w/o the commercials and canned laughter. Nothing against vegetarianism, I'm just sayin... ;~)