Let's Play UpMarket • DownMarket...The audio game

You have an imaginary audio budget of your own choosing.

Will you choose the upmarket component of a modestly priced company, or the downmarket product from an ultra expensive vendor?

Examples from the speaker category.

Upmarket: Vandersteen Seven, Zu Dominance. Both statement products from companies known for selling reasonably priced products.

Downmarket: YT Carmel, Magico V2. Entry level products from upper echelon firms.

Which will be your choice and why?

The trickle down technology from the bleeding edge outfit or the value oriented firm freed from the constraints of cost?

Let's talk sonics and value, rather than resale value.
emailists
It is an interesting question in that the usual response would normally be "you have to hear the items in question and decide for yourself." However I too fall on the entry or less expensive model of the upscale manufacturer. I agree with the idea that they have t use some trickle down technology if not production methods and personel who do the work. I too own JM lab Electras which at the time supposedly used the same drivers as the Utopias. They never mention the cross overs and certainly do make you aware of cabinet design differences. I bought used Cardas and the entry level Jena lab speaker cable, and again following the pattern I bough Carey audio's sub brand ultra low price AES brand preamp. it has been a magical combination.
The amps for the JMs were bought for other considerations. ( I knew the distributor)
I did buy the best Jadis integrated I could afford, but that also was really based on one that I had heard at some length. I use it to power Entry level VSA VR2s. I love them but there are better speakers for that amp.
I too would generally prefer next to the bottom model from more upscale company and in some cases even the least expensive model. For example, I would choose Rowland integrated over any Creek or NAD or most Naims; or any Nottingham turntable over any Denon and most or all Pro-Jects. However, for digital I could be happy with $500-$700 Marantz DVD player new, and would not spend much on digital player anyway, under $1k for sure.
Ok after round one, we have some great responses and examples.

Round 2 - Any more specific examples people can chime in with would be great.

I may be having some fun with the format of this thread, but who knows, if it gets dozens of responses and examples, maybe some truths or patterns may become apparent that I or anyone else had not anticipated.
Thought I'd revive my old thread and see if new observations come to light, especially as companies like magico have introduced some fantastic lower priced gear. 
I will say (a more budget conscious line which I sell) has created some fantastic higher end products that are stunning, namely the BHK line of electronics from Ps audio.  

Saw this post and was curious.  Was nice to read the first two replies by 2 people who both are missed.