Is it okay to talk around your speakers?

When a system is not on, should you avoid making any noise near the speakers? I am thinking about back EMF caused by the speaker cones moving and then sending voltage backwards into the crossover and the rest of the system - could this cause damage or even minor degradation to the sound quality after a while? Do you unhook the speakers when not in use just to be on the safe side?
6550c
Al, I would not advise such a method. Your speakers will then after, always sound a bit tipsy!
Al, I would'nt advise such a method. Your speakers will then after, always sound a bit tipsy!
Cables don't really burn like fire, they learn. See, the free electrons in the metalic structure, which exist in a cloud, and are not really attached to any specific proton, stabalise and begin to work together. When they all start pulling in the same direction then the cables are ready.

I think the audio store i used to shop at unhooked all unused speakers so morons that couldn't keep hands in pockets could not crank-it-up and damage or annoy the store workers.
Hifihvn,
In 'The Italian Job', one of the characters was going to use his share of the loot to buy a stereo system which could "play so loud it would blow women's clothes off." Is that what you are thinking of?
The best thing about this thread is that it prompted Al to give a totally untechnical response. And no, Al, I am not busting on you -- your very informative replies are always much appreicated.