Is it okay to talk around your speakers?

When a system is not on, should you avoid making any noise near the speakers? I am thinking about back EMF caused by the speaker cones moving and then sending voltage backwards into the crossover and the rest of the system - could this cause damage or even minor degradation to the sound quality after a while? Do you unhook the speakers when not in use just to be on the safe side?
6550c

Showing 5 responses by 6550c

It might sound dumber, but do speakers remember the music they play? There is a school of thought on this. For example, never play Rap or metal on a system that is used for jazz- it will be damaged forever. It will still play, but not as well. It won't really ever sound good again.

On dealer also told me to never place speakers in a spot that is a "bass node" - IT will cause damage?
hehehe! i did not really mean remember each note for note like a CD Recorder. I just wonder if there is something that can happen. For example, maybe the type of music played on new speakers sets up a general vibe forever. Like maybe it sets up a magnetic field in crossover or even aligns electrons in the cables and wires a certain way and they tend to stay that way for a while.

Okay, if you are still with me. When I had college physics, we put dust in a clear plastic horizontal tube and then played a pure sound wave in the tube. The dust, after a while, ends up in little piles spaced at the wave length of the sound (I think it is one wave). This prooves that sound caused high and low pressure areas. It travels in a compression type wave. You don't want speakers in a high pressure area IF you played the same bass Hz for a long enough time. or is it the low pressure area?
Cables don't really burn like fire, they learn. See, the free electrons in the metalic structure, which exist in a cloud, and are not really attached to any specific proton, stabalise and begin to work together. When they all start pulling in the same direction then the cables are ready.

I think the audio store i used to shop at unhooked all unused speakers so morons that couldn't keep hands in pockets could not crank-it-up and damage or annoy the store workers.
Yea okay. Some of you guys think an audio rack can make things better. How on earth does a $13,000 wood rack work?
You set up your gear on a certain rack and it automatically gets better? I knew a manufacture that was making racks with custom made laminated glass. Only one place in the USA could make the glass. Cost like 20 grand per rack! Is that insane of what?

Or how about cable elevators? Did you guys read through that topic? What a bunch of waccos. How do things get better by placing cables on neat little ramp things? Does it make the electrons feel like the "red carpet treatment"? lol

(I DO have a real question aboout tubes in the AMP section, but noone is answering)
We talk allot about tweaking gear to sound better like spending mega bucks on power cables (which may be the same thing with another name on it) lets spend more on a cable than the actual amp! And things like Beaks? What the heck is a beak? If that's not the craziest thing yet! If it really works, then why doesn't the manufacture add this?

We don't talk much about protecting and preventing damage to our equipment or even things that may cause minor sound degradation overtime. Maybe because prevention doesn't involve selling a voodoo logic product. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I guess there are allot of dealers that can't really bring in the good products aymore, so now they just focus on selling the cure.