Music vs. Components

Greetings everyone. Here's a biggie: When you sit down for a session with your hi-fi, what do you find that you are really listening to most 1) the music, or 2) your components? Where and what is that mysterious, illusive, fine line between 1) simply and wonderfully enjoying the music and.... 2) listening critically for either how "great" your system sounds (such as trying to justify upgrades, tweaks, tube rolling, wire changes, etc.) or listening for all of the flaws and weaknesses of your gear. When does the tweaking stop and the enjoyment begin? Conversely, when is it time to improve and upgrade because, in reality, you would be happier if your system sounded better?
bside123
Tough to separate the two. The leaps forward in audio keep you running back to the music to hear it like never before. A big step up can reveal details of production that may distract from the music. Above a certain level of audio it becomes difficult to multitask while listening. At this level it's wise to ration listening or risk mental processes and productivity turning to mush.
07-19-10: Mrtennis
none of the above. i am more concerned with the affect of the sound upon my health, a subject which is often ignored....thus for me neither the music per se or the components are not, i.e., what happens after you have listened to music ?

How else would you be experiencing 'the affect of the sound upon my health' or 'what happens after you have listened to the music' without actually listening to the music? Isn't listening to the music producing both of these physiological effects?
listen8ing to music may be neutral to your health.it depeneds upon many variables. there may be other pursuits which are more salutary such as running, swimming, reading, etc. .

there is no asssurance that music will contribute to improvemenets in mnetal or physical state but, obviously, listening can accomplish the aforementioned results.

for example, music may not change a "bad" mood, regardless of the sound. one should be receptive to the affects of the music and open minded to its potential positive impact.
@Mrtennis - I'm not sure I fully understand your qualification of music being 'neutral to your health' as opposed to the other things you mention. I don't see how music is any less salutary than reading, for example.

You mention 'many variables' that music may depend on to make it neutral or not neutral to your health. What are some of those? How is your state of health in this situation affected if not by listening to music? The answers to "What happens after you listen to music", or "why you listen to music", can only be answered by actually listening to the music!
First I listen to my system, say "it sounds good". Then say "it sounds like crap in this way or that" and make mental notes on how I could fix it (usually = $$$). Then I say "Gee, I like this song", and then just listen and have positive mental change Mrtennis talk about. Simple. I am never satisfied, but will tolerate limitations of space, gear, recording and unrealistic expectations for good music... and actually like it.