Anyone successful in dealing with Tinnitus?

I have been experiencing ringing in my ears and think I may have it. Any recommendations?
underdog

>>1) Symetrical tinnitus developing in your 50's 60's, is unlikely to be clinically significant. It represents hair cell degeneration in the Cochlea, usually, but not always accompanied with some hearing loss, mine is'nt.<<

This statement seems impossible.How could you hear a test frequency when your ringing ears are masking it.I went to one ENT group years back and saw the equipment used for the hearing test and could say it was of poor quality.They said they only need to test the few frequencies that were printed out on the paper they gave me.If your ringing isn't in this this limited test range,it may give the illusion you have no hearing loss.If they changed the standards to high quality tests and equipment,there may be a lot of more accurate results.Apparently,if more money was to be made in this type of medical research,with more profit returns for the pharmaceutical and other interests involved,there might be better help for the affected people.
What I was trying to say to sufferers is that symetrical tinnitus is unlikely to represent serious pathology and therefore not to be concerned regarding their health, not that they shouuld'nt worry about the tinnitus.
You are right that audiograms are pretty unsophisticated and if you look hard enough you will find high tone hearing loss, because everyone develops that with age. Therefore everyone in their 60's has hearing loss. The days of my hearing up to 20000hz is long gone,if they ever existed, I will be lucky to get to 14000.
I would put to you Hifitime, what does more sensitive testing get you, but to confirm this high tone loss, which is at present untreatable, except with crude hearing aide devices, which even at there best, often cause more problems than they solve. I take your point, that more research would be done in this area if there was more money in it. That's capitalism for you, we believe in that in the UK as much as you do.
Many concerts and loud pounding music on headphones. Luckily, I have what I would term mild tinnitus and have managed to nip it in the bud I think. Occassionally I'll get a semi loud blast from my left ear. But it goes away. In any other sense, I have excellent hearing, thank God. Same as Chazro. Same age same symptoms. I WILL NOT let it progress! In fact, I'm going to a metal concert on tuesday in a small brick venue with 8 of my friends and yes I will be wearing ear protection.

Oh hi I'm new here. Building my first hifi. Hopefully my first thread gets posted..... (wrote it last night, kinda puzzled as to why it's not up, I'm ready to buy!)
I have Hyperacusis along with Tinnitis. Are most of you the same way or is that less occurring?
I would say hyeracusis is unusual, but I have seen it. If you think of the physiology of hair cell damage, that could cause an impression of increased as well as reduced hearing