Do you have tin ears?

About a decade ago I jumped into the audio craze and went at it full force. With my budget at the time I purchased the best of the best that I could find through Audiogon or purchased it new. I had problems with my tin ears. I'd have 8 or 9 pairs of IC's and they all sounded the same. I couldn't tell A from B. They all sounded as good to me. I spent a considerable amount of money to find that special cable and never found it.

So, this time around, as I put a modest system together with pieces from back when and and maybe a few new things, I am approaching ICs differently. This time I am going to purchase something solid and durable and stay there. I may consider something by Signal Cable or maybe Blue Jean Cables. Signal cable makes some durable stuff so that may be my ticket

How about you guys? Any others with ears of tin?
matchstikman
The problem I have found with cables is that they are system dependant. There seems to a synergy that must fire on all cylinders to maximize the performance. Some cables can take a day or two to settle in when just being moved. So doing A-B comparisons becomes difficult if not impossible. We have to have an equivilant to a photographic memory, (Audiophonic memory?)when trying cables back and forth. Sometimes you get lucky and the improvement a glaringly apparant. Other times I have found that the difference are so minute, that we may convince ourselves which is truly better out of desire to stop searching and settle. Years ago I tried a number of cables and a couple from each company and finally decided on the brand/model based upon the A-B comparisons. It is a hassle and takes a lot of time and money. If you have tried a number of cables and not coming up with a noticable improvement then I would say one of two directions remain to go here. Either be happy with what you have or continue to search for the grail. There most likely is a cable that will make you stand up and say "wow my system is great", but finding it not easy. Another option if you want to enhace your system's performance is look at isolation, component upgrade, room treatments etc. But a tin ear? You wouldn't have come this far if you had a tin ear. You want more because you know you can hear it. Find a way to acheive the goals you have for your music, seek the level of enjoyment that will bring it all together for your needs. It just may not be the cables, sometimes a speaker position can make a world of change. Best of luck.
I would have saved a lot of money. I don't have "golden ears" but I can hear the differences in cables.

Thanx, Russ
If I had "tin ears" I surely wouldn't spend a ton of money on any audio equipment,cables or otherwise.Of course,to each his own in the decision to spend your own money.Just a thought.
Have you visited an audiologist? This is a must for any one into the high end. A full 'spectrum' hearing test is a must, not the standard test that generally stops at 8K. With a test you will know what your hearing curve is all about and can 'see' where your hearing may be adding bias to your listening choices. Use the visit to get a good pair of ear molds made for listening with your portable player.

Lastly, have you had a doctor check your ear wax? Yes, it will make a difference in what you hear. I have a doctor check twice a year and it make a big difference.
You don't have to have perfect hearing to tell the difference between real sounds and what you are hearing from your hi-fi. Just saying.

Thanx, Russ