is audiogon good for the audio industry or bad?

I am not a dealer so my input is only based on my limited actions...but, since I discovered audiogon and became a member and active user, I have raised thousands of dollars by selling equipment that had been stored in my basement because "trade-in values" are so low that I would have rather stored this equipment just in-case I one day needed it. I then re-invested those dollars, plus other dollars and then sold equipment that I was planning on living with and invested those dollars as well to basically upgrade 1/2 my system which I had no imminent plans to do prior to AG. The result is that I have now spent thousands and thousands on equipment over the last 6-months which I would not have done without AG. Absolute Sound drives me into retailers and listening rooms, helps educate me and helps create my wish list, but, AG helps me make it a reality. The result is that I spend far more $$ on equipment...which by the way, drives me to buy absurd amounts of source material through acousticsounds, etc...
jedhartman
You would think any resource that generates interest in a hobby area has to be good for the associated industries.
I personally feel Audiogon is the best thing to happen to the high end audio industry since the end of vinyl’s golden age.

The forums have allowed all of us to learn. Most of came to Audiogon through some search engine, either looking for used equipment or advise. With very little time invested we discovered other people just like us, looking to learn and share this wonderful hobby. For me it was a place to learn from the very basics of system start up, to the art of pulling the most from what ever level I could afford.

After a few years, I found myself experimenting beyond the level of most, and in return I was sharing my findings. This is the description of the Audiogon forums, and how they have raised the level of knowledge in our hobby. Then it dawns on us, these are our friends too. I started finding myself sharing with friends from Audiogon, both in the forums and off site. I discovered this was becoming a big part of my life, and I enjoyed it. Then the damnedest thing happened, Lugnut! This thread changed lives, and allowed Audiogon to rise to a much unexpected level. We shared our love, tears and hearts for a man most of us never actually met.

Is Audiogon good for the hobby? Is caring about people you don’t know in any way other than through an Internet forum significant?

Oh, then there is the used market for audio gear. Audiogon just happens to dabble in this too. Suddenly we had a place where we were able to sell our unused gear. In audio, most people tend to take very good care of their equipment, and yet part of the hobby is trying new equipment in our ever evolving systems. Before Audiogon there was no true market for this gear, and many of us had closets full of stuff. Audiogon allows us to trade our equipment in a very stable used market. For the most part we can buy and sell used equipment with very little actual cost, thus making the Audiogon community a group of friends trading equipment and sharing experiences. It’s like we all lived close by, except we have never met. But that is not quite true; I have found a group of local audio friends through this site too. Funny I needed to go out into cyberspace to discover now two more people who live in my 3000 person suburb who also share the passion of high end audio.

Now the down side, but this is not an Audiogon issue as much as an Internet issue. The Internet has created a marketplace where some sellers have chosen to exploit the ability to undercut pricing. We consumers of course benefit from this by cheaper prices for new gear, but at the cost of killing what was. The amount and variety of bricks and mortar retailers has dwindled to a very few. This limits our personal exposure to equipment, and limits our chance to audition equipment before we buy. If we shop at Audiogon, chances are we do not shop in our local audio retailers, and visa versa. That is too bad, but it is reality. Audiogon did not create this issue, and in fact does little to support it, so in my eyes, not even this issue is pinnable on Audiogon.

I guess one could make the argument that the newly discovered local friends (unknown without Audiogon) all have different equipment, and in fact we are auditioning other equipment, and in fact sometimes in a far more affective way. I will leave that discussion to others however…

So in conclusion, I believe Audiogon is the best this to happen to the high end audio industry, and I am proud to be a ten year member.

jd
I well remember the audio hobby before Audiogon. Tons more quality audio retail stores, but this was the only way to get to hear a variety of equipment.

The rise of the internet in general has also been amazing for the audiophile. We used to have to find out about equipment by sending away for pamphlets, snail mail!
Audiophiles were pretty much alone as well, I had no easy access to other audiophiles, pretty lonely hobby/obsession. A much wider variety of opinions and reviews is available today, back in the bad old days we had to rely much more on magazine reviews.

The 'old' days were not the Golden Age of audio, the Golden Age is now! More recent audiophiles may not realize how good they have it.
Amen Sns,this is definately the Golden Age.The future looks fairly rosy also,keep on truckin,cheers,Bob