is audiogon good for the audio industry or bad?

I am not a dealer so my input is only based on my limited actions...but, since I discovered audiogon and became a member and active user, I have raised thousands of dollars by selling equipment that had been stored in my basement because "trade-in values" are so low that I would have rather stored this equipment just in-case I one day needed it. I then re-invested those dollars, plus other dollars and then sold equipment that I was planning on living with and invested those dollars as well to basically upgrade 1/2 my system which I had no imminent plans to do prior to AG. The result is that I have now spent thousands and thousands on equipment over the last 6-months which I would not have done without AG. Absolute Sound drives me into retailers and listening rooms, helps educate me and helps create my wish list, but, AG helps me make it a reality. The result is that I spend far more $$ on equipment...which by the way, drives me to buy absurd amounts of source material through acousticsounds, etc...
jedhartman

Showing 2 responses by buconero117

Some of the comments on 'need to support the b&m' crowd remind me of BO's refrain 'that it is your patriotic duty to pay more taxes'. I wish there was a 'used' government I could purchase at half price, like most of the audio equipment I have purchased used, some from B&M dealers. Just as a new car is the worst economic way to purchase a car, so is the new piece of audio equipment. Wait, let it go into the 'used' market. I don't feel bad about behaving the way I do, just like the used car market supports the new car market, in audio it is no different. I do test drive new cars to get the feel of what I could like to buy used. As the car leasing business has proven, bargains are there for those that wait. So, continue to 'kick the tires' at your local audio dealer, you are doing his customers a favor. Just tell the dealer you are waiting for a 'certified, pre owned unit'.