Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi Ct0517, I'm very rusty since its about 15 years since I used the ET2, but from memory I had an I beam with a thin metal strip at the bearing tube end. I packed soft strip ( might have used thin lead or teflon ) either side of the thin metal bit that goes into the bracket on the end of the bearing tube and then played around with the tightness of the clamp - I was able to vary the lossiness of the I beam from rigid to virtually floating. Then I settled the point that gave the most natural bass soundwise with air around it.
Re the magnetic dampening, I used a small cupboard door magnet and simply placed it on the turntable plinth with a packer to get the magnet as close to the bearing tube ( the moving one ) without touching it. This magnetic dampening is used by Dynavector on their tonearms where a curved horizontal metal near the counterweight moves through 2 magnets above and below it as the tonearm transverses the record.
Ct: As far as the high pressure manifols beiing "custom built", not, at least in my case. I had my (.5) upgrade done at least 15 years ago and Bruce did't ask me what pump/pressure I was using. I'm currently running 18psi,
Ketcup: I can run over 20 psi right now and not affect anything but the hose/connectors. IE: No issues regharding over 20psi into the ET 2.5 manifold.
Apbii: Any "soft" form of (suspension) in the VPI line of TT will result in a softening of transients and ,you guessed it, MUSIC.

OK guys, This is obvious, any rubber, compliant, suspension, WILL result in a overly warm, muddy, less "What we are all looking for" SOUND!!!!!
Gotta love these mods that don't cost anything to try. WTH - honey what happened to all the magnets that used to be on the kitchen cupboards ?

Thx Dover - sounds like the our single, double metal strip IBeams are another way to accomplish this ?

Frogman - I am going to super glue the shaft of the older empire I have and connect to the body. I agree it could be alot more rigid. Will let u know how it works out.

Slaw - I should have got it in an email from Bruce.

Slaw, while I agree overall with your comments re type of suspension in the VPI line, I would qualify them with these observations IN MY SYSTEM:

The "overly warm" description is definitely system dependent. What might be overly warm in your system might be perfect in another. This also highlights semantics issues. I experimented with all types of suspensions in my sequence of VPI's (HW19mk2, 3 &4, TNT with spring and currently rubber ball suspension. I found spring suspensions (particularly with the HW19 series) to produce a more diffuse sound, not necessarily warmer. In fact, I found the sound to be less even linearly, with some highlighting of the lower highs, producing overall a sense of a brighter, not warmer, sound. This also gave the sound a livelier character; although I believe that was the result of the tonal highlighting, and less so a result of any issue of dynamics. Upturned metal cones (least compliant) in the HW19 produced a very tight, brighter and detailed sound, but too lean in my system. Sorbothane pucks with upturned short tiptoes was best. With my TNT, which began as a TNT6 plinth with original spring corner towers, the sound was again livelier but edgier and diffuse/bloated compared to the current rubber suspension.
Frogman I do remember having an issue with air loss from the manifold due to a cap screw leaking. I don't remember which one it was, I resolved it by using Teflon plumbers tape on the cap screw.

Conversations with Bruce T implied that some have had problems with stripping the threads in the manifold where the adjustment block attaches.

I also think that if these screws are too loose it allows the arm to flex quite a bit which would seem to be very counterproductive.