What happened to the AM/FM tuner???

I want to add an AM/FM tuner component, but apparently no one makes this any more!! Every AM/FM tuner I see for sale is integrated with an amplifier, cd-player, or other thing I don't want/need.

All I want is an AM/FM tuner with RCA line level output - no built in amplifier, no built in cd player, nothing else!!
lupinthe3rd
Lots of great tuners available.

Magnum Dynalab
Naim
Creek
NAD
to name a few.

As mentioned above, vintage tuners are plentiful. Go to Ebay and type in AM/FM tuner, you will find many.
A few more
Mcintosh
Denon
marantz
Rotel
It all depends on what you want to spend.
I see them listed here on AG on occassion as well
What do you want to spend?
The Marantz ST17 is a few years old but if you can find
one it is a great tuner.
What happened to AM/FM tuners is that without content, they essentially became worthless. And what happened to FM radio is truly a crime against humanity. The FCC should be locked up in jail and sodomized nightly. They let the corporate foxes rule the hen house and now we have nothing worth listening to on FM except for NPR.

If you purchase an FM tuner, all you will find is coporate pre-packaged pablum off a digital music server that stores the music in an MP3 format. Oh and now we have plenty of spanish-language stations to choose from and more commercials than you (or anyone) can stand. None of which is worth spending $75.00 to listen to.

So, while you can still find new and used AM/FM tuners available to buy, why would you want one... they're just a waste of money and shelf space.

One of the biggest problems that I had with trying to listen to FM is the fact that most of the stations pump the bass about 12 to 15 db and the music sounds way too bass-heavy on a decent system.

Now the hype is all centered around HD radio. Broadcasters want you to invest in a new service to stream commercials into your home,car, or office. The HD radio system uses part of their FM bandwidth allocation to stream 100, 112, 125, or 150 kbits/second of lossy data to HD receivers. The actual rate is set by the station depending on power budget and desired range of signal. By comarisson, a CD has between 900 and 1400 kbits/second of data. In listening to HD radio, the sound has a time domain distorion to it that becomes tiresome after about 5 minutes and irksome after about 15 minutes. While this would be fine for your car (at least the meta-tags are useful), it really doesn't make sense for a high quality 2-channel audio system.
The new replacement for FM is internet radio or satellite radio. You are far more likely to be happy with either of these technologies than if you buy a new AM/FM tuner.
I recommend internet radio if you wish to stream to your system. A bit complex, but lots of choices for music and information. I like having XM radio available. Monthly subscription, but very few commercials and lots of choices for music. I also have DirecTV which hosts most of the music channels from XM. The Sat receiver has digital Toslink outputs and RCA outputs. I use an Onkyo receiver as a pre-pro and sometimes use the tuner in it. Many choices, but not like the old days. Good luck.
I find the Magnum Dynalab tuner that I bought an excellent source for good quality music, and it is free. Living in the northeast there are plenty of inependent/college stations with a great variety of music. Bought myself a decent powered antenna at RatShack and I find the quality to be quite good, sometimes better than what I get over the internet or via cable. And it is nice not having another bloodsucker draining $10- $20 per month in fees.