You've tried other amps and ended with Pass, please discuss

So I'm genuinely curious about this, and I'd like your thoughts.

You: Are a current pass owner who has tried a number of other amps and stuck with Pass.

Please discuss your speakers, your pass and what other amps you feel your current set up bested.

I won't opine, but may ask questions to those who are not specific enough.
One thing I've heard a lot is the terms "refined." I don't know what this means, so if you can compare to other amps with more detail, would appreciate that.
Thanks!

Erik
erik_squires
@erik_squires ,
Interesting thread. 
I haven't had a chance to listen to Pass amps, yet. Though they certainly seem to be highly regarded.
Perhaps, one day...
Bob
Erik,

My Pass 260.8 monos replaced a ML333 in my system when it died. Now, I am not sure if my displeasure from the ML was due to it's imminent demise but I thought my ML23.5 that the 333 replaced was more extended in base. While I fully acknowledge the 333 was very listenable, when the Pass entered the same system I was drawn into the music unlike anything I experienced with the ML. Fast base response, what I consider very neutral in the mids and highs never got annoying. I found myself sitting for 6 hour listening sessions covering Classical, Jazz and classic Rock.

Pre- ARC 27
Speakers-Shahinian Hawks
Dac-PS DirectStream
Over the years I've owned 3 different Pass Labs amplifiers. I kept going back to them for several reasons.
1. They just work every time2. They do no harm3. They are very pleasant sounding with all music styles/genres
4. They can drive basically anything in terms of speaker loads

The first Pass I owned was an X250 which I used to drive a pair of B&W 803D2's for awhile.
Prior to the X250 was a Classe CA-201. The Pass X250 bettered it in looks, sound and reliability.
Then I went full in on Class D for several years drinking the Kool-Aide by the gallons. I owned every Hypex NCore variant that was available at the time (DIY NC400, NC1200, Merrill Veritas & Mola Mola Kalugas)

The Hypexs worked great with the B&W 803D2's and I enjoyed them probably more then the Pass X250 on the B&W's.
Then I changed speakers to the Magico's and all the Class D Amps I had with these speakers was like mixing Oil/Water. Horrible and a very problematic combination. I believe the presented load and odd elliptical x-over design of the Magico was just too much for these Amps to deal with.

Then I switched to a Pass XA30.5 for a short time to dip my toes into the pure Class A market to see what all the hype was about. It didn't take long to see/hear what everyone raves about with these Amps. I was sold. The XA30.5 was an awesome amp but was just a little too power shy for my Magico S3 and the levels I tend to crank up to.
Now I currently own Pass XA60.8 mono blocks driving the same pair of Magico S3 previously mentioned. With this current configuration I see no reason to ever change. I'll be 6ft deep before I get rid of them. A perfect combination IMR (in my room) and with my gear.

So long story cut short, the Pass amps are unflappable, super reliable, look great and sound even better then they look. They will feel right at home in any system whether it costs $1K or over $200K. If your in the market and spending big bucks why gamble with anything else is what I've come to learn over the years.
IMO of course
@eniac

Thanks so much for that detailed, chronological, explanation of what you went through. In particular how you experienced the differences with the 803D2s vs. the Class D amps. That gives me a lot of information.

And thanks to everyone else who has added to our collective knowledge as well!

Best,

Erik
I’ve owned different Krell, Mark Levinson, Bel Canto, a few different tube amps (Cary, Conrad Johnson, ARC) and the search has ended with XA60.5. They do everything well