yamaha cr-800

I have a very unusual problem with a yamaha cr800.  With an antenna installed and tuning to fm stations I can get signal pickup in fm mode.  But not in fm muting. so there is no stereo, afc/station or signal meter movement.  It is non responsive thru the entire fm scale.  There is not even a weak attempt at channel selection,  just dead.  I know the circuit and lights work because they were tested at a qualified tech shop in austin, texas and they work and pick up channels perfect but out in our rural location no such luck.  I have other receivers that work fine so our reception appears to be good.  This is really strange and the tech has no answers and has never seen this before.  Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gsranch

I'm guessing here, but I believe you need a better FM antenna. You should also use the 75 ohm input rather than the 300 ohm input if you have a choice. That works better for me. Depending on your location, you may even need an outdoor antenna designed for the 88 to 108 MHz. range.

The Yamaha most likely has a stronger muting threshold than your other receivers. Some tuners have adjustable muting. If interstation noise does not bother you when going up the dial then don’t sweat it!!

FM Mute eliminates inter-station tuning noise and only allows strong and clear stations to emerge from the silent background.

FM Mute eliminates inter-station tuning noise and only allows strong and clear stations to emerge from the silent background.

It's possible that the muting doesn't work, or the switch is broken but the tuner will work fine in wide band mode so there's really no reason to fix it. 

Thanks for your responses.  One last note, I get a station to tune in on the standard fm selection (no fm muting) and I still do not get the stereo or AFC/ Station lights to come on.  So I guess that is a confirmation that the signal and sound is mono and not stereo.