Wireless vs. Ethernet for Streaming

We live out in the country and we have just recently been able to upgrade our wireless service to something approaching "civilized."  (Our speed tests range from 70-300 Mbps, from a TMobile cell tower via the ether.) Our house is rather long and spread out, so I installed a Google Nest mesh network, and we now have a strong wifi signal, even in the far corners of the house.

I want to start streaming high resolution music from Qobuzz.  I have measured the latency of my wifi signal and it's strong--latency runs between 6 and 12 ms at my stereo.  But everything I read online says that streaming requires an ethernet connection.  Unfortunately ethernet is problematic here, simply because it would require a run of 140' from my main router. (The mesh nodes do not have an ethernet port.)

My current digital setup consists of a Bryston BDP-2 that feeds digits to a Bryston BDA-2 D/A converter.  I have ripped all of my cds onto a hard drive that is connected to the BDP-2 via a USB port.  I control the BDP-2 with my laptop via a Bryston wifi USB dongle.

If I can indeed use wifi to harvest digits from the ether I am tempted to purchase Bryston's new(ish) BR-20 preamp/DAC/digital source combo.  They recommend ethernet for streaming but offer several accessory USB ports.

What is your experience/opinion regarding wifi vs. ethernet?  How would a long run of ethernet compare to our wifi setup? Is it even realistic to expect to play high resolution music over wifi?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

discus99

Hey there.  Latency doesn't matter.  Bandwidth, signal strength and reliability matter.

They make wifi analyzers for Windows, Android and iOS.  I suggest you get one if you'd like and make sure your destination has a strong signal.

My experience varies based on location.  In apartments you usually find a lot of signal contention for your wifi channels, so Ethernet is really important for reliable video or music. In your average suburban home you won't have nearly as much signal contention and a high quality mesh router will be just fine.

Since you've built out a new mesh network and confirmed strong signal distribution, Wi-Fi will work just fine for you. It's the older protocol versions (particularly before 802.11ac in ~2013)  or if you have signal reliability issues that could create issues versus Ethernet.

I've set up multiple streamers, including Bryston streamers, with Wi-Fi to Ethernet adapters and they've all worked great as long as the signal was strong. The Wi-Fi SweetSpots app on iOS can be used for rough testing of signal strength.

Just keep in mind that for high-resolution Qobuz streaming to the Bryston BR-20, you will need to use the Manic Moose web-based interface. This is generally the case with other streamer hardware as well. When Roon certification is completed, then that would be another option for high-resolution Qobuz streaming to the BR-20.