Wilson's Chronosonic XVX loudspeaker over 3/4 of a million US dollars

Wonder what the impedance/-phase angle graph will look like on these puppies, looking at the amount of D'Agostino amps used to drive them, I'd say could be pretty evil.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/74336509_2441444039447768_5578766920951267328...

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Showing 7 responses by tomic601

But using pistonic aka low distortion drivers is a 3db output hit.... Quality vs. Quantity... the age old tradeoff
@mikelavigne i do have a great deal of respect for you and your contribution, especially this particular forum. I would love to hear your system and likewise offer same.

i think in part answer to how Wilson might improve the product involves addressing  two very related design principles- something they ( and many many others ) don’t think matter of that they have beat “ another way”
time and phase. The impulse response does not lie.
Pistonic motion - the midrange they use spends a LOT of time out of phase to the input signal.
best
jim
the gate ( sold out ) last night for Grammy nominated JD Souther was $30 k. He played 3 hours with a short break. You do the math on a decent nite of listening....

he was awesome BTW...great storyteller, emotional connection to the songs...covered some artists he admires.....

Los Lobos is up next....
Cracks me up you amp guys sweat over tenths of a % and tolerate a paper Wilson midrange ( for example as let’s say representative) that is out of phase 50% of the surface area of the cone at the crossover point...

$500 to scan your favorite driver and know the truth....
Of course there is still the high negative feedback club in love with sine waves..,
Does kind of remind me of technical amplifier discussions pre Matti Otola...

but it measures great

but it sounds like crap

but it measures great

maybe we should measure something else ?
It’s cheating of course, but some of us enjoy “ low efficiency but also low trash “ speakers that are an easy load, low pass optimized with a power factor corrected feed forward bass amp and another optimized high pass amp with just 5 active components in the signal path....

somewhere... I remember a class on systems engineering...

oh and because the room is part of the system. 11 bands of analog EQ below 120 hz

your mileage may vary