Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX loudspeaker!! only $300,000.oo

What a bargain, still bet they sound great with the right amp up them, looking at that impedance/phase angle graph.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/421WXVXfig1.jpg

XVX is a very demanding load, with EPDR less than 1.1 ohms between 52Hz and 66Hz and between 197Hz and 287Hz, with minimum values of 0.91 ohms at 450Hz and 0.94 ohms at 3250Hz. The Chronosonic XVX should be used with amplifiers that don't have problems driving loads of 2 ohms and lower.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-chronosonic-xvx-loudspeaker

Cheers George

128x128georgehifi

Showing 22 responses by edgewound

Think your forgetting the drool value of them. And the brownie points you get here if you own a pair, speakers that is.

Cheers George
I find them to be extremely unattractive...and extremely overpriced. Those two features make them nothing to drool over for me. I'd rather earmark that kind of money for live music...or a house in Montana.
$300,000 buys a lot of concerts....you know...live music? Reality? For years....Probably decades...
The pinnacle of cost no object speakers to me is the TAD Reference One.

Visually stunning, Technically superior, built to last decades, everything made in-house. Fraction of the price.

To each their own.
Some of those people end up dying in prison because they sold a very expensive lie.

Bernie Madoff is an example of one that got caught...after admitting it was all a scam.

I'm not envious of speakers that are picky as to what kind of music they're best at.

The best speakers take what you throw at them, and don't complain. That's the TAD Reference One. Classical, Acoustic, Electrified music...doesn't matter.

I asked for demos of electric jazz/rock with many high end speakers. I was refused. "They only like Classical". Whatever.
@ghdprentice 

Looks to me like you're making a subjective interpretation.
ozzy621,412 posts04-27-2021 5:12am@edgewound

Looks to me like you’re making a subjective interpretation.

Why don’t you quit trying to be so cryptic and say what you actually mean. Otherwise it’s ALL open to interpretation..........

Oz
I have no desire to own a Wilson Audio loudspeaker system. Never have, never will.

But...I do sense a bias on your part. I find a large amount of absurdity in the "audiophile" market. Much of it is a scam. I find the price tag of $300,000 for a loudspeaker system in the realm of absurdity. Call me a realist. Call me envious...I really don’t care. Some things just aren’t worth the price tag... this is one them.
It’s also my prerogative to opine that $300K is ridiculous for these uber ugly monstrosities.

Getting your feelings hurt over it is pretty juvenile. Wouldn’t the world just be a whole lot better if everyone simply loved everything? And believed anything anyone told them? Happy happy, happy....blindly happy.
Honestly... I could source...or have built the most technically advanced transducers...source a CNC machine shop to fabricate the most acoustically inert enclosure...or have it 3D printed from the most exotic materials available... and charge $300,000 for a loudspeaker system that would not ask too much from the most technically advanced amplifiers available...and have a profit of over $250,000.00 per unit pair. I think I’ll do that...and then profess that you need speaker cables that that are $50,000.00 per 8 foot pair that will need to be acquired in order to unlock the potential of my $300,000 speaker system, and $20,000 interconnects to unlock the virtual reality 3D holographic live performance image that no other cable technology can hope to project. Simply send your funds to PayPal at [email protected]. $500,000.00 will get your order in process. Thank you so very much in advance for your business!
(Typed on an HP laptop purchased at Costco for <$600 and able to communicate to a global audience, demonstrating the value of technology and it’s worth.) But please...send me $500,000 for the most amazing high fidelity experience you'll ever experience in either life...or the afterlife...in my opinion.

perkri
402 posts
04-29-2021 4:45am
@edgewoundtootightly    

You remind me of someone who was once spewing the same rhetoric, kenjit seem to remember his name though.

So simple. Now, how about adding an animated feature film to your list of fantasies - just use your super duper computer.

See, it’s this kind of dismissal of just how difficult it is to make an amazing component that is so sad. It’s a combination of arrogance, ignorance as well as being completely disrespectful of the sheer time and energy goes into a product, that’s not even beginning to address the skill, experience and knowledge required to build a world class component.
Dismissal. Arrogance. Ignorance. Disrespect. 

Most of these come with age and experience,  as well as a healthy skepticism for things with extreme price tags.

perkri
406 posts
04-29-2021 12:51pm
"Dismissal. Arrogance. Ignorance. Disrespect.

Most of these come with age and experience, as well as a healthy skepticism for things with extreme price tags."

Hot news flash. These are precisely the personality defects one is supposed to leave behind with experience and wisdom. These are not places where one should aspire to arrive at.
Hotter news flash. The dismissal, arrogance, ignorance, and disrespect displayed by the ilk of yours, oftentimes gets met with the likes of Newton's Third Law. You get what you give...and it's learned with experience...and enough self esteem to give it right back, bub.
daveyf2,081 posts04-30-2021 4:22pm@edgewound I always laugh when I see an example of what you posted about with guitar ’collectors’. I have a friend who cannot play a lick and who recently was more than happy to show me his newest Gibson LP Gold Top...which he just paid over $40K for! It will hang on the wall in his study, along with 10-20 other dried out ’collector’ pieces. Sometimes it makes me question why this guy has these very nice guitars and an ex-pro studio musician, like myself, has to do with their lowly Tele...then i play my beloved Tele and I wouldn’t swap for all the 'collector' guitars in the world...there is no fun in having guitars on a wall and not being able to play them, IMHO.
Yeah...My favorite guitar is a partscaster I built 30+ years ago for about $600. The closest thing to what it'll do in a new guitar is several thousand $$. 
simonmoon102 posts04-30-2021 1:27pm
$300,000 buys a lot of concerts....you know...live music? Reality? For years....Probably decades...

I constantly see this type of comment pop up on threads about very expensive audio gear. But all one has to do, is give it a modicum of thought and apply a bit of rational thinking to it, to see it just doesn’t hold up.

Think about the kind of income level one would have to be at to afford these speakers (and all the other gear to match them).

Now, do you really think an owner of a pair of Chronosonic XVX really has to worry about forgoing going to see live music in order to own them?

I am a member of the largest audiophile club in the world, the Los Angeles, Orange County Audio Society. Quite a few members have extreme high end systems. Funny thing is, (pre covid), I would see them at jazz clubs, local rock shows, and classical concerts at Disney Hall on a regular basis.
One does not need to spend six or seven figures to get spectacular sound in a home. At that level, it simply becomes an exercise in ego, excess, and pretentiousness. Not my thing. I’m more of a performance/value kind of guy. If spending $1,000,000 for a system is your thing, more power to you. I’m also allowed to say I think it’s absurd. The sheer snobbery of extreme high end hifi is extremely off-putting, especially when one asks about specs. My 30 years of attendance at CES has reinforced that opinion. If someone has made a fortune managing other people’s money, or in the stock market, silicon valley, venture capital...whatever...Spend it however you want. Some of these people have ruined the market for musicians by driving late 50s sunburst Les Paul prices to the moon...and they can’t even play guitar, but they have billions of dollars to spend on anything they want. AND...manufacturers TARGET buyers like this, regardless if anything can be proven WHY this stuff justifies the stratospheric pricing...other than ego gratification. 

I've seen too many rich guys that buy the best equipment thinking it makes them a better musician. It doesn't. It takes actual practice...and some natural talent. Money simply can't buy everything.
audioguy85794 posts05-01-2021 3:29amYou would have to have your head examined to spend that kind of money on ANY audio component, that is if you even HAD the money. You can buy a pretty nice house for 300k! Freakin’ ridiculous what they are asking for these and other speakers. Whereas as a home will most likely appreciate in value, these will lose 50% once you bring them home...stupid. lastly, they are hideous looking, unless you like your speakers to resemble an arcade video console. You might as well stick on a pac-man or centipede decal. Jeez, for 300k at least make them look good.
🤣It's clear from here that you just simply don't understand...lol.

BTW...that's sarcasm. We're in concert😉
Then why is there so much very expensive devalued gear for sale? Smart investment? 
@perkri
You seriously have no comprehension of people that make lots of money. As a group they are smart, well educated, ambitious, and hard working and only part with there money after diligent investigation of facts and make informed decisions. The kind of people that buy from Wilson..
This statement from you describing the "due diligence". Buying the best? or latest flavor? So much "old" stuff is actually superior. McIntosh comes to mind.
I’ve got a good, longtime friend from high school and college that has done extremely well.

We had a mini HS reunion a couple years ago and he asked me if I wanted to drive his Tesla Model S. As we spoke while driving this amazing car I asked what was his favorite? He’s had a 911 Turbo that got him into a lot of trouble, Lexus (can’t remember the model, but a competitor to BMW 5 Series), Mercedes S Class. He loves the Tesla, but currently, trips need to be either relatively short or planned around chargers. Keeping that in mind, he really enjoyed the Mercedes S Class.

He said he could buy anything he wanted...and test drove a Bentley GT. Said he felt too pretentious driving it, and his volunteer work would make him feel uncomfortable flaunting his wealth like that.

I really respect that bit of humility. He lives in a pretty modest house, as well, relative to his income. He’s been a Financial Advisor for nearly 40 years and has seen the good, bad, and ugly of wealthy people.

perkri
427 posts
05-04-2021 4:02am
@edgewound  

Nice cut and paste job.

Clumsy attempt to alter the narrative?
Nope. Just exposing who you really are. 
"I love it when people throw out community service as if this were some measure of worth, value or concern for others. By the way, your friend has already shown his hand by stating that he feels ashamed of flaunting his wealth. Most likely you wont get an objective opinion about the wealthy from a person who feels ashamed of what he has earned. The silly 21st century propaganda about class appears to have already done a number on his brain. To not live your life as you want due to appearances could be viewed as a tragic sign of weakness."
I see it a sign of good character and self esteem. 

If you wanna relate with the Biff's of the world...that's on you.

audition__audio
800 posts
05-06-2021 3:52am
So it is a sign of good character and self esteem to worry about the appearances? I see it as fashion. Not all those who are wealthy are trust funders. Of course you see it as positive because you believe in the narrative and you see the accumulation of wealth as an ignoble pursuit.
Your greatest talent is making shallow assumptions, which is a great revealer of your lack of character. Everyone knows...right?...that making sure your flaunt your wealth at all times is the right thing to do. Save it for the Yacht Club, Biff.

audition__audio
802 posts
05-06-2021 1:02pm
Who is making assumptions? You assume I have a lack of character because I object to the notion that all wealthy people flaunt their wealth. Is flaunting wealth is some great sin? The richest people I know, granted I live in the Midwest, do not have a tendency to flaunt what they have. My problem is with people that are more concerned with perception and would let the possibility of a negative perception prevent them from doing what they wish. Most people with your attitude have a chip or have had some bad experience with wealthy people from their younger days or previous lives.
I've known plenty of wealthy people in my lifetime. The one's that live to flaunt their wealth are pretty dreadful, insecure characters.

Carry on, Biff.