Why do I need a switch?

I just watched a few videos about audiophile switches and I don’t understand the need. Cable comes into my home and goes to a modem and then a NetGear Nighthawk router. I can run a CAT6 to my system or use the wireless. If you don’t need more ports, why add something else in the signal path?  On one  of the videos the guy was even talking about stacking several switches with jumpers and it made the sound even better. He supposedly bought bunch’s of switches at all ranges and really liked a NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108Ev3) That costs $37 on Amaz.

Thanks in advance.

128x128curiousjim

@curiousjim 

A few years ago, Steve Plaskin (with AudioStream at the time) posted about using fiber converters and 1M of fiber as an isolation technique to reduce noise.  Based on that review, I purchased 1M of cable and two converters, and then later installed my entire 45-foot run with fiber since I figured having only one SMPS near my system was better than having both near my system.  Before long, I switched to LPSs.  I cannot remember how I came on the products that I used, and I am not the right person to ask about which specific converters would offer the best performance but these are what I used:

For a while, I thought music sounded a little smooth/calmer using fiber from my router to my system, but then when I started trying other isolation products such as the Network Acoustics eno, and later the muon, the effect of using fiber seemed to be no longer necessary and I found that going back to Ethernet cable only for my 45-foot run (CAT8) may even sound slightly better, although the difference seems almost imperceptible. Your plan to start with the converters and then if you like the sound, add LPSs is a good way to start.  FWIW, the iFi power supplies I believe are highly filtered SMPSs but not LPSs.  That doesn't mean they are not quieter.  However, my understanding is that there is a big difference between the iFi SilentPower and the more expensive iFi Power elite.  Good luck.

@mitch2 

One more question, do you have the converters before your router or plugged into one of its outputs. I’d have to put it before the router because I mostly do WiFi.  Otherwise I have to use a netgear Powerline adapter. NETGEAR Powerline adapter Kit, 2000 Mbps Wall-plug, 2 Gigabit Ethernet Ports with Passthrough + Extra Outlet (PLP2000-100PAS) https://a.co/d/4YswvJv  And lord knows how much noise that puts into the mix!

Thanks

"I just watched a few videos about audiophile switches and I don’t understand the need"

Don't question it. Just buy in.

Probably better with a fancy pc cable, cat 5 cable and fuse. Cryo everything before use too.

THAT's how you roll with the audio neurotic club.

The madness NEVER ends...

my belief gained through my travels on this subject is that good clocking and elimination of electrical noise pollution are both important... the importance of the latter highly is dependent on the nature of upstream signal feeds/routers and of course, one’s digital music source (multi use computer, streamer, renderer, what have you...)

it is not just about the integrity of the transmitted data packet info (the networking guys only focus on this, this is a necessary but insufficient condition for success in hifi reproduction), it is about how the data gets decoded accurately back into analog without distortions caused in the process (which requires proper timing and electrical properties of the waveform being read during the conversion...)

@curiousjim I am running the Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 and also the FTLX1475D3BTL like tube rolling (snicker) and I am using the Mini Unmanaged 1x 100M/1G/2.5G/5G/10GBase-T RJ45 to 1x 10GBase-X SFP+ Slot 10Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, AC 100V~240V or DC 5~12V

https://www.qsfptek.com/product/99867.html