Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
+1 on Tony. Great down to earth dude unlike some of the snobby d..ckweeds around. 
I had the opportunity to try the 2170 over the last week and a half in my home.  I was impressed with some of what the Lyngdorf did, but felt it was not close to my sound preferences.  I left the audition puzzled at how members are gravitating towards this amp.  I think in my case it was a speaker (Devore) and sound preference (Tube or class A) mismatch.
I've owned many speakers in the past where a change of amplification didn't make that much of a difference in sound.  Auditioning this amp reminded me why I love certain speakers and how the journey, for me, must first start with a speaker.  I've heard other members say they build systems around an amp.  Maybe others start with a turntable.  This is not a knock against digital, solid state or tubes, just my observation that all the links matter, at least to my ears.  

I agree that speakers always influence the sound the most. Followed by the room. But the amp will influence the sound of any speaker. I auditioned the Lyngdorf against other amps including LTA. LTA is the best tube amp on the market IMHO because I hate second order distortion sound and it's tranformerless design minimizes that. Also tested against some pretty high end Class A offerings. I'm puzzled how you would gravitate away from this amp. Well actually I do understand. If you are use to tube distortion or Class A distortion, you probably won't like undistorted sound of the Lyngdorf. I gravitate toward the Lyngdorf because it's the closest to a "wire with gain" I've ever experience.

@bjesien

Was the amp broken in? Brand new? What was paired with it? Did you use the internal dac and usb input? What power cord did you use? Thanks ahead for this additional info.
The amp was new and I was able to put about 220 hours on it at high power levels before really deciding.  Cables were stock, Nordost Frey2 and Wireworld Electra.  I used the internal Dac with USB.  
I gave it a fair trial and it just never sounded real to my ears.  It had a vail that I couldn’t shake.  Didn’t better the Ayre VAC or Luxman amps I’ve owned.  The room perfect is great but my Devores are fairly easy to place.  I did position them way out of whack,and when I did that, I was surprised how well the room perfect feature tuned them.  I’ve heard other high quality class d amps from T+A and SPEC from Japan and while I appreciated some qualities, I just found that over time I was listening less.  If I had the choose between the Lyngdorf and the SPEC I would go with the SPEC because it had more of that “in the room with the musician” quality that is important to me.