Which pair of speakers changed your Hifi life?

*** I am not trying to create a debate or a quarrel with anyone. My discussions are purely having a talks and to express one's experiences. Also to learn fellow audio lovers passion. Please do not disrespect with hurtful words or expressions. Please be more forgiving and understanding in this discussion thread. Thank you." ***

Hopefully one day, someone would say "Mon Acoustic speakers were the turning point in my Hifi life".  😃

My 2ch-audio journey began when my uncle bought his BOSE system at his home (don't even know the model or never really heard it) in early 90s. Bose was rear and expensive in Korea(South) back then. So I started my own system with Bose Cinematics 2.1. Then moved on to Goldenear Triton 3, then to Triton 1. But more utilizing the speakers for AV set ups, not 2 ch stereo.   

When I had my first house, I bought a pair of Revel M105 speakers and I think these are the pair that really changed my audio life. My initial paring with M105 was Yamaha receiver. Then I tried goofie set up with center speaker 3.1 to see if it improves vocal in the songs I liked. We went through many combinations of system set up. I ended up with Chord Electronics set up. 

I still own them. Always struggle time to time, whether to sell them or not due to the number of pairs I own(out of a guilt). I cannot argue how many pairs of shoes my wife owns.  I pair them with NAD M10 (version 1) for my bedroom since my wife likes the warm and well rounded sound, and 80% its white design aspect. 

So what are the speakers that have impacted your life? 

128x128monacousticusa

I should add KEF LS50 Wireless II speakers paired with KC62 subs that show that active speakers with well designed DSP are the likely way of the future.

My first exposure to real hi-fi was my uncle's system with Acoustic Research AR-2a (or 3a) speakers.  That started me on this audiophile journey. Then it was my Boston Acoustic A60s.  And then many speakers after that.  The ones I loved the most in that time, that I actually owned, were my original Von Schweikert VR-4s.  They were pretty magical in a large living room in a pre-war building in the Bronx.  Perfect room for them.  But that was many many years ago.  Now the room is smaller and doing my best with various bookshelfs (LS50 Meta, Nola Boxer) and always on the hunt for something new.  That's the fun part.

JBL L100

It was summer 1970, best friends older brother invited us to listen to his new stereo. Big Marantz receiver, Dual 701 turntable, and the L100s. Changed my life. I have been chasing the sound ever since.

@cptrips

JBL L100

It was summer 1970, best friends older brother invited us to listen to his new stereo. Big Marantz receiver, Dual 701 turntable, and the L100s. Changed my life. I have been chasing the sound ever since.

For some reason the L100s seem to get a fair bit of criticism and yet they’re also held in the same type of acclaim that some hold vintage Tannoys.

To my ears the original L100s remain a classic loudspeaker.

Every time I hear them I’m slightly taken aback at how they could have made a box speaker this good, this transparent way back then.

I think it’s also telling how no one has compared the originals to the more recent versions released by JBL.

The speaker that changed my life was part of a portable record player system back in the 1970s.

It was playing loud and distorting like hell on some crescendos but... there was something about that sound, that timbre that permanently changed the chemistry in my brain that day.

Like yourself, I think I have been chasing that sound ever since.

I just didn’t know it.