Which Mid Level Turntables Ship Well and Are Foolproof?

I'm looking for recommendations for mid-level turntables (e.g. $500-$1000 used) that are solidly built, are unlikely to be damaged from prior misuse, and that can be shipped relatively safely (assuming original packing materials). I am helping my cousin put together a system, and so far it's pretty nice: (Vandersteen 2CEsigs + 2WQ sub, McCormack DNA 0.5 Rev. A amplifier, modded Eastern Electric minimax preamp, Schiit Bifrost DAC).  He is wanting to get back into vinyl, and has an analog audio store nearby that can either sell him something new (Rega) or help him set up something used.  Given the relative delicacy of turntables and all the mechanical parts, we are debating whether to go used and if so, which models would present the least risk for used condition and shipping.  Much appreciation in advance for your thoughts!  Peter_S 
peter_s
@peter_s 
It's a nonsense to read about new Stanton and new Pioneer turntables on audiophiles forum. I have no idea why Rich posted about them, but i will tell you for sure that plastic Stanton is the worst turntable on the planet with awful tonearm of unknown geometry, i don't like the Pioneer as well, speaking about dj turntables there is ONLY ONE standard for professionals and this stadrard is Technics SL1200mk2 for ages ($300-400 used). 

Don't know what to say as i prefer much better turntables and all of them sells without tonearms. 
@ chakster - wow, who put the red bull in your Cheerios?

The original poster asked a question about the Pioneer PLX-1000 and I gave an answer.  

Kindly reread what I wrote.  It wasn't that outer worldly.  

@ Peter - for the audiophile experience, the Stanton 150 and the Pioneer 1000 may not satisfy.  They are not awful TTs by any stretch.  Mapleshade uses the Stanton for its TT mods.

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Stanton-ST-150/products/201/

Rich 

Buying a new turntable from a reputable dealer is clearly the best way to assure yourself of safe transit and good back-up, in the unlikely event that there is shipping damage. Other than that, it's a crap shoot, but the next best thing is to buy a used turntable from a dealer or someone who is known to sell used turntables and has experience with packing and shipping and, better yet, will stand by you in the event of a disaster.  Other than these two very similar options, the internet is replete with horror stories about "shipping" and "turntables".  I know that I know how to pack and ship a turntable, because I have done it more than twice with no problems, but I can't know about the "other guy".