Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
Hello atmasphere,

I think I understand; while GaNs do switch much faster than traditional MOSFETs they still require some driver circuit current to operate.  The use of GaN FETs results in significantly lower gate capacitance and stored charge but not to zero. 
     You're stating the most important benefit of using GaN FETs in a class D amp, however, is reducing dead time (possibly to zero at current class D switching frequencies.) since this allows for the further reduction of distortion.  It seems to me that the benefits of GaN technology will improve the performance of all types of ss amps, not just class D.
     Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything.
     I'm also curious about how your development of a class D amp is progressing and whether it will utilize GaN  or any other newer technology.  
     I'm very interested and anxious to actually audition and experience the performance improvements gained through well designed amps incorporating the best of existing and recent technology.
Thanks,
  Tim

@singintheblues

check-out these Class D offerings as well. And 'no,' I am not affiliated with this company. I just own a pair and have talked directly to the owner / designer...had them since July 2017 and love 'em. I listen circa 6hrs / wk. PM me if you have questions
www.cherryamp.com

Here is a an email back to me from the US company "ClassDAudio" regarding the use of the new GaN Fet technology in any of their completed amps or very well priced Class-D kits they make, that use linear power supplies!!
https://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits.html

"Hi George,

These will not be available in kits. These amps are complex and expensive to manufacture. We’re hoping to have complete amps ready maybe in about a month. We’re still finishing case design. Tom"

Cheers George

I think of ClassDAudio as the bargain center for class D amps.  This is the place to go if you want high quality class D sound for the least amount of money.  
    About 4-5 yrs ago, there was a lot of buzz about how good class D amps were getting and that they were moving beyond just good sub amps and were beginning to be considered very good sounding amps from top to bottom frequencies. They seemed to be the amplifier technology of the future since they not only sounded very good but were powerful, could easily drive low impedance speakers, were smaller, lighter, more electrically efficient and ran cooler than other more traditional ss and tube amp types.
      I was very curious to try one and see what all the fuss was about.  So, I called ClassDAudio and talked to the owner, Tom Roth, who's very nice and knows a lot about class D. 
      He recommended I try one of his completed amps. the SDS-440-CS, to drive my large 4 ohm Magnepan 2.7QRs.  This was my first class D amp and it was an excellent performer.  Mainly out of curiosity, I've moved on to a few other class D amps but the ClassDAudio is still operating flawlessly driving the rear surrounds in my system.
     I expect his new class D amp using the GaN FETs will also be a bargain.
     I find his comment that "were're still finishing case design" to be a little worrisome.  While he makes great sounding class D amps using lesser known modules and traditional toroidal power supplies, the styling of his amp cases are typically, and to be very generous, ugly as sin.  Think anti-Jeff Rowland Design Group style.
     Hopefully, this amp case's styling will match, what I expect to be, the great sound of his new amp.

Tim