Which Amps the Tenor 150 or CAT JL2.

Definitively System Amps/Speakers.

Exquisite Kharma Reference Midi 1A.
OR
Exquisite Kharma Reference Mini 1A.

Tenor HP 150 or CAT JL2.

Room size: 18 x 14 x 8.

Systems: Meitner DAC 2 + Meitner Transport.
CAT SL1 Ultimate preamp. Elrod Statement + Signature 2.

Thank you
mehdi

Showing 1 response by gregm

Hmmm, dear Mehdi, at this level of equipment it REALLY boils down sonic minutiae in the end result (WHICH speakers btw, ExMini or ExMidi??). The pleasure is in the hearing, as it were -- therein also lies the decision.

So, my considered opinion is DON'T BUY what I (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend JUST because I (or anyone else) recommended it!

So, instead of recommending, I'll put down some thoughts:

While I could easily state the case for ANY of the TWO amps (with the ExMidi, with the Ultimate and maybe even without the Ultimate) and others can easily contradict me with better arguments (:)), mistakes here are financially catastrophic and morally depressing.

Because, generally speaking,

*Excellent results have been achieved driving Kharma with Tenors. Indeed, the Kharma+Tenor is very popular (see Mikelavigne & others)

*Excellent results have been achieved through the CAT Ultimate+JL2 combo driving Kharma (obviously the two cats (sic) operate well together -- the JL2 was designed using the stable's pre/ among others),

*Furthermore, excellent results have been achieved WITHOUT active pre-amplification using Tenor OR JL2 driving Kharma speakers (see mikelavigne, etc, as above)!!!

AND, salient points in the specs for speakers & amps don't reveal much either (wide-bandwidth speakers: both amps' bandwidth is extended enough; both amps' driving power is a-plenty; maybe the Tenor's 33kOhm input impedance is tricky on paper -- but it doesn't seem to have bothered anyone using that amp...)...

Cheers, and do take the time to enjoy building what already looks like a world class system!