When someone tells you it's a $40,000 amp, does it sound better?

I've always been a little bit suspicious when gear costs more than $25,000 . At $25,000 all the components should be the finest, and allow room for designer Builder and the dealer to make some money.

I mean that seems fair, these boxes are not volume sellers no one's making a ton of money selling the stuff.

But if I'm listening to a $40,000 amplifier I imagine me Liking it a whole lot more just because it costs $40,000. How many people have actually experienced listening to a $40,000 amplifier.  It doesn't happen that often and usually when you do there's nothing else around to compare it to.  

I'm just saying expensive gear is absolutely ridiculous.  It's more of a head game I'm afraid. Some how if you have the money to spend, and a lot of people do, these individuals feel a lot better spending more money for something.  Now you own it, and while listening to it you will always be saying to yourself that thing cost $40,000 and somehow you'll enjoy it more.

jumia

Using percentages as far as performance really doesn’t work. It is exceptionally arbitrary as there are so many variables to sound quality and every person values different aspects.

Is it worth it, is a value judgement based on your desire for better sound and your income level. I own a $22K amplifier because I can afford a $22K amplifier…OK, let’s be honest… I can afford a $10K amplifier… but this is a disease so I bought one more expensive than was prudent.

If I could afford it I would own an amp in the $40K range, I would… in this case the own the ARC REF 160m I have that my friend lent me. I know the performance of both these amps very very well… they are sitting in front of me. To me the more expensive mono blocks are worth it.

I can't relate to anything above $1000.  Any more is just for those who have too much $$.

not necessarily, but unfortunately the best sounding gear to me, is expensive...there is some expensive stuff I don't like and some inexpensive stuff I like very much...but give us all more credit than we would buy expensive gear we don't really like ...

@jl35 

Why $1,000 why not $500 or better yet $200. These are just arbitrary numbers that have no meaning.

@invalid : give me an original NAD 3020 and I am happy! I had two of them back in 1978/79. List price then was $199! The Audio Critic tested the 3020 and preferred it over most $2000 pre/power amp combinations.