When someone tells you it's a $40,000 amp, does it sound better?

I've always been a little bit suspicious when gear costs more than $25,000 . At $25,000 all the components should be the finest, and allow room for designer Builder and the dealer to make some money.

I mean that seems fair, these boxes are not volume sellers no one's making a ton of money selling the stuff.

But if I'm listening to a $40,000 amplifier I imagine me Liking it a whole lot more just because it costs $40,000. How many people have actually experienced listening to a $40,000 amplifier.  It doesn't happen that often and usually when you do there's nothing else around to compare it to.  

I'm just saying expensive gear is absolutely ridiculous.  It's more of a head game I'm afraid. Some how if you have the money to spend, and a lot of people do, these individuals feel a lot better spending more money for something.  Now you own it, and while listening to it you will always be saying to yourself that thing cost $40,000 and somehow you'll enjoy it more.

jumia

Showing 11 responses by ghdprentice

As an example. For the last nine months I have had both a set of Audio Research Reference 160m monoblocks ($36K) and a Audio Research Reference 160s (the stereo version, $22K). There is no question the monoblocks out perform the stereo unit and are worthy of the price.

I have found performance levels are largely in line with cost without discontinuity. Different companies have different house sounds of course. The high end audio amp market is highly competitive… any real anatomy in price / performance would get eliminated pretty quickly.

Using percentages as far as performance really doesn’t work. It is exceptionally arbitrary as there are so many variables to sound quality and every person values different aspects.

Is it worth it, is a value judgement based on your desire for better sound and your income level. I own a $22K amplifier because I can afford a $22K amplifier…OK, let’s be honest… I can afford a $10K amplifier… but this is a disease so I bought one more expensive than was prudent.

If I could afford it I would own an amp in the $40K range, I would… in this case the own the ARC REF 160m I have that my friend lent me. I know the performance of both these amps very very well… they are sitting in front of me. To me the more expensive mono blocks are worth it.

One important aspect to recognize is that when you compare amps from different companies you are comparing different house sounds. Given we all have different values, we will prefer different house sounds more than the particular implementation.

So, say I like Audio Research’s amp sound more that Boulder. A $20K ARC amp will sound better than a $40K Boulder. But if I liked the Boulder sound my choice might be exactly the opposite.

Within house sounds (companies) the sound quality improves with greater price (let’s assume high end stuff > $5K), I don’t think I have ever heard a violation to this generality.

So, I think when you think about your experiences, you need to incorporate this into your analysis. Assuming you are not just biased against high cost. This will either leave you with too little data to draw a conclusion or likely that price / performance has a direct relationship. The slope of the line formed with these two variables will depend on how much you value improved sonic quality.

OP,

Huge design time. Painstakingly swapping many different kinds of capacitors, resisters. Remember break in of hundreds of hours. 

Higher tolerances on all materials and construction. You can’t just throw it over to China to a contract manufacturer. 

Far greater testing. Boulder has a big breakin room where they run their amps full power until too hot to touch, for days. 

Usually greater effort in aesthetics… something that requires some one with real talent, not a high school student.

Lower volume production. 

in other words huge investments… and it’s sound must be commiserate with the price… and match the sound and aesthetic requirements of their clientele. 

Hidely risky endeavor. 

“It tells me their have more money than brains.”

Yeah… no. All the audiophiles with large budgets I have known have earned their money. They used their brains and hard work to get their money and use their brains and hard work to acquire audiophile equipment to make absolutely sure they get value what they pay for.

OP, fortunately my gear is in my man cave floor… I guess we are also hermits. I think I have had five or six people down here in twenty years. My system is for me only. 

You know, that is interesting. I don’t think I have ever read marketing information until after I have made the purchase. I have never considered it a useful source of information. 

I read professional reviews or audition equipment. But would never look at the market stuff.

@westcoastaudiophile

Well, I have $34K mono block amps and a $22K stereo amp (see my user ID) and no question the mono blocks produce much better sound than the $22K ones or the Pass $10K amps they replace. I think a total of 4 people have seen my system in the last 20 years, so it is not for show. 

I have heard +$40K amps.

I think most folks use dollar value in posts as a proxy for sound quality. I don’t think anyone assumes any $40K amp… but one well researched and which appeals to your sonic values as opposed to other less expensive amps also that play to your values.

Dollar value is used as a proxy for sound quality in order to remove our differences in sonic preferences out of the equation.