what preamp for Tenor 150Hps or 300Hp ?

As I consider the possibility of a Tenor 150Hps or 300HP amp to go with one of the lower end Kharma speakers, I wonder what preamps people have found to go well with this combination. I know it has often been shown in combination with the emm labs transport/DAC/pre and many seem to have personal experience with this. I will certainly consider this costly option. Alternatively, I would appreciate other recommendations for an appropriate preamp to consider with using a CD-only player.

Thank you.
thom_y

Showing 4 responses by thom_y

Tireguy,

Just to clarify things, right now I don't own anything. So, I was considering the options of the emm labs transport and a DCC2 vs. a very good CD-only player and a separate preamp. So, what I wanted were suggestions for a preamps that have apparent synergy with the Tenor hybrid amps.
Mike,

First, it is great to hear from the "father" of this Tenor/Kharma 'cult'.

I am intrigued by your suggestion of the Placette RVC ... obviously, the notion of preamp vs. no preamp is quite contentious. Admittedly, I am very new to this high-end spectrum and come to this forum to try to learn from people like you and others. Yet, I am confused as some seem to argue the pre may be one of the most important components in the chain, while others seem more than happy to use a passive volume control like the Placette or the volume control on their CD player. Perhaps, when you get in the league of Tenor/Kharma the preamp is less important and may possibly only take away from the "magic" of the rest of the system. That is interesting, as it may make it easier to swallow buying the Tenor amp, if I can avoid an expensive preamp ! The Placette RVC is only 1000 bucks !

To start with I think I want to audition the emm labs transport/DACC2 for my system, but I would be still interested to hear other suggestions for an alternative preamp or others experiences as well.

Thanks for all of the help so far.
why am I looking at this gear ?

I guess it could be worse ... other people my age go out and buy a Hummer, Porsche or BMW ... luckily, I can walk to work and we don't need another car ... in my work, I see a lot of crap happen to people unexpectedly sometimes at all too young an age ... therefore, if I can afford it and enjoy it now, why not !
Brian,

Excellent advice, I couldn't agree more. I have been looking for a while now and I hope to continue to travel around a lot more before I make any quick decision. Luckily, my room won't be ready until the fall sometime. You don't know any emm labs/Tenor/Kharma dealers that offer such incentives do you ?

It's somewhat ironic that 2 out of the 3 are Canadian, and yet, I have to travel to the US to get to hear them all together.