What have I missed in the last 12 years?

I was really in to audio in my early 20s.  Starting in 2005 though, things got in the way.  I kind of lost track of where things went in the industry; got bored of reading about $1,000+ cables etc.  Married, two kids, four moves and three jobs later and now things have settled down and I'm rediscovering the joy of my stereo.  Current system:

Audio Physic Tempo
McIntosh MC202 Amp
McIntosh C15 pre-amp
Marantz CD-6005 CD Player (bought last year when my ~2000 CDP's transport went wonky)
Project Debut TT
Sansui TU-717 Tuner (rarely used)

Most (95%) of my listening is CDs, a broad mix of jazz/rock/folk/piano/vocal.  I love the vinyl sound, but don't have the collection of records to really make it the focus of my listening.  I see now that a lot more vinyl is available than in 2005.  Current room is 18' x 15' but the house is "open" floorplan so the room is more or less open to the rest of the house.  That's good and bad; good because I effectively have a much bigger "room" but bad because it limits volumes when the little ones are sleeping.

So, audiophiles--Catch me up!  When I left the hobby streaming was a joke, and most people were of the mind that (at least for reasonable prices) all-in-one CDPs were the way to go.  Fewer cables, synced clock rates etc.  Now I see lots of lower cost DACs out there.

Things I like about my current system?  Imaging is good, tonal balance is good.  What it lacks?  Not the most involving at lower SPLs, lacks low end punch.  A bit of a haze and lack of transparency.  Could use more "bloom"?

I'm thinking of resetting the whole system and going with low power tubes and high efficiency single drivers.  Thinking that with my SPL limits, might give me what I'm looking for.  
rhum_runner
I'm thinking of resetting the whole system and going with low power tubes and high efficiency single drivers.  Thinking that with my SPL limits, might give me what I'm looking for.
Good idea, although I would not limit myself just to single drivers.  Ref 3 makes great high efficiency speakers with a very simple crossover.  If you budget will allow, Hornings are high efficiency with a wider band than most single drivers.  Good lower power tube amps can be had for a reasonable price from Atma-sphere, RM Labs, and lots of others.  Just remember that SETs make more distortion as their output goes up, so if you go that route, make sure you account for the peak power demands of your listening habits and material. 

On the digital route, developments have been dramatic with respect to computer audio and dacs.  Not sure an investment in a high end CDP makes sense any more.  Ripping a large CD collection is a project, but if you get a music server that auto-rips, you can do it while you watch TV or do other chores.  Lots of good info @ computeraudio.com. 
The main stay of my system has been vinyl although I collected a fair amount of cd's in the 90's. About a year ago I bought a Zdac hooked that up to an old cd player & was amazed at the improvement this little inexpensive device made. Since you mostly listen to digital, you may want to think about buying a newer DAC to see what that does for your system. 
i had a 202 and C15 running Vandersteen 3A-Signature for years..
you will be pleasantly suprised what they are still worth outright or in trade. The C15 the rarer of the two, hyper quiet and has a great MM section.
but i understand the allure of tubes..
you might consider Aesthetix Romulus a fine dac and cd player in one box...also upgradeable and a smoking deal used.
only downside is no plan as far as i can tell for MQA
have fun re entry is fun

Digital streaming technology has come a long way.

Amps come in smaller packages and deliver more clean power and current for less.

That's mostly it.
I'm a fan of streamcasting since local radio is *meh*.  Connection speeds are up, so there's less dropouts now.  But that'll depend on your wire...

The 'connection/wire wars' continue unabated, as do discussions on most anything else.  Tweek as you wish or can afford. ;)

Digital enhancements fall into the same conundrum.

That's the Cliff's Notes version, but that's MHO.

Sounds like you've got a good stack in the meantime. *S*  I'd lurk around for awhile and get your feet wet....education is free, mistakes get costly and frustrating.

And, of course, remember the old saw about 'opinions'....;)