Were to go after a Rega Planet 2000?

Hello,

I have a planet 2000 and enjoy its sound. I like its tone, PRAT, timber etc... but I want more of it. I find that the Rega lacks authority when playing. It still sounds like a CD player (and a CD player at that) but not live music. I want something that has the good qualities of the Rega, but just expands on them. I want a player to take control and give me music which leaves little to none to complain about.

I really like my friends Wadia, but I simply can't afford one.
I love the way it portrays the music.

My budget is $750-$1000 plus what ever I can sell me Rega for.

I have been suggested the Sony DVP-9000es. From what I have read it is reasonably priced and sounds good. But it's a Sony, and I am unsure about it.

I will consider everything, my only request is no tubes. I think they are better served in the preamp. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Nick
nickway

Showing 5 responses by nickway

It's kinda funny the dAck and the 9000es were the two player on my mind and both are very different.

I have considered buy a Ack dAck. They can be had for a good price used. I am just now sure HOW good they really are.

I have also considered the Sony 9000es, but once again I am wondering about HOW good it really is.

From what I understand the Ack has a fuller sound with less detail and the Sony is a little thinner but has great imaging, detail, authority etc...

Hard to decided. I will not be able to listen to either player before I make a purchasing decision, so I am kinda hoping you guys will be able to help me out. Redbook CD performance will be the deciding factor here, as I only own a few SACD's.
I guess I should look elsewhere then. The reason I like the planet is because it plays music. I am wanting to add to the warm musicality of the rega. I want more detail, air, staging and depth etc... but not at the expensive of musicality, PRAT, tone, timber etc..

Can anyone comment on the Ack dAck in regards to this?
Raquel

It's not that I have anything against tubes. I like them. But I am going to be upgrading my Blue Circle CS to a BC21.1 pre and BC24 power amp at some point.

If get a CD player with tubes, I would have tubes in the CD/pre/power.
Adding another set of tubes, would make the cost of replacing all of them even more expensive. And with tubes in both amps I don't think I would need some in my CD player too. Not that it would be a bad thing again. I am just try to keep the cost somewhat down.

Hope this helps to explain.

To everyone:
Can anyone else out there offer a comparison between a dAck! and any other high end players or converters? I think I would like to try a dAck! once my finances allow me to do so.

Cheers,
Right now I am in savings mode.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I am really interested in a Audio Note CD-1/1x Signature DAC combo and possibly the Resolution Audio Opus 21 (both used of course).

If I can't get enough money togther I will probably look at an Ack dAck 2.0 and a good transport.

What is everyones opinion of the players I listed here. Any comparisons made?

Thanks,
Hello,

I was supprised to see my old thread come up again. Thanks for the info, but I bought a new player about 5 months ago. I know have a Parasound (CEC) belt drive transport and a Wadia DAC. I am happy with both units.

Cheers,
Nick