Vinyl***What If***

Hypothetical here:
My new incoming Cayin integrated has a built in MM stage..IF I convinced myself I wanted to try vinyl & knowing absolutely nothing about set up,care etc..& do NOT like to constantly fiddle recommend me a complete,bare minimum setup...
Speakers are Harbeth M30.1 & cables are Nordost Lief Series Red Dawn...Thanks much..
freediver

I have an old San Jose bandmate (Todd Philips, who has worked with David Grisman, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Ricky Skaggs, Stephane Grapelli, Joan Baez, and many others, and also as a member of PsychoGrass and The New South) with whom I jammed again just a few years back (after not seeing him for many years). He plays a 3/4 scale 18th Century German-made upright bass (it's huge; 6' tall, taller than Todd!). Mounted on the bridge (that the strings run across) of the bass is an electronic pickup, for situations requiring amplification; the bass can be played purely acoustically (it sounds incredible!), or a cord can be run from the pickup into an amplifier and speaker. How is Todd playing his bass acoustically "live" music, and playing it amplified not?

The same can be asked about singing. So, a singer with no microphone is making "live" music, but a singer singing into a microphone is not? I don’t think so.

Hey Schubert is entitled to whatever view he wants to take on the subject of music. I worked with a colleague some years ago who didn’t listen to any music after the beginning of the 19th Century- and we worked together on catalog and masters, etc. for such luminaries as Bob Marley. I did OD on Marley after a while just cause it was 24/7, but talent? The guy was gifted and took that reggae thing (with Chris Blackwell’s help) to a whole other level, making it popular with rock audiences. My colleague- couldn’t stand any of it. We used to tease him about it.
Don’t dig rock- no skin off me. To each his own. I do, however, listen to classical, jazz and all kinds of other stuff, though, truth be told, I like the excitement of a good hard rock band, rock n’ roll, and the passion of well-played, heartfelt blues (most of which is electric, pretty hard to find rural blues played on acoustic instruments these days, but there’s some).
Wasn’t Charley Christian the guy who first amplified his guitar to take it from rhythm to lead in a big band? (I’m sure there were others who went ’electric’ before him). Remember what a controversy it was when Dylan ’plugged in’? Joe Boyd has a good story about that- he was the poor stage hand who literally plugged him in.
Do what you like.
Oh, I forgot the punchline. For my friend’s Birthday, I hired an impersonator to come up to his office as Marley and sing to him. He was really pissed at me.

Schubert, electric let alone electro-acoustic guitar can sound great, we should not I think take purist perspective to the point of absurdity.
Singing in microphone can also be great. Yes, it is better without it, I compared many times.
Bill, I like your friend already, reggae is a one tune one rhythm all the time, it's more of a dance than music.
And no-one I am aware of plays art rock like Pink Floyd, used to play I mean. Authentic blues, yeah, but I get bored quite quickly, good for the right mood.
The real point is that it is all a matter of taste. We all like what we like but I'm not going to write something like "jazz isn't live music" just because I don't like jazz or because someone used a microphone. I'm also not going to set a quality standard (for myself) that recorded music sound just like it does live. That can be a fleeting capricious standard not to mention that a great deal of music isn't recorded 'live'.

Again, if someone else wants that to be their standard they are welcome to it. There's just no need to denigrate someone else's music genre.
I did not say it can’t sound good , I said it is NOT live music . Point is , if your system is set for symphonic music in a hall, the hardest thing to replicate in audio , then the advice of less that 2% of the people on Planet earth is of much use to you .

I don't like rock because I was grown before it existed and I know it has been bad for both the level of music and society in general . This will never change so hear what you will .