Upcoming Technics SP-10R (100th Anniversary Model)

Ok GAE owners, now you can sell your turntables, because upcoming Technics 100th Anniversary model will be a new version of the reference SP-10mk3 and they call it SP-10R. Finally!

http://www.technics.com/uk/about/press/releases/20170830-sp-10r/

"Berlin, Germany (30 August 2017) – Technics has today announced the launch of the Reference Class SP-10R, its most premium analogue, direct drive turntable to date, which is anticipated to hit the market in early summer 2018. The news comes as Technics unveils a prototype of the new, cutting-edge turntable with the world’s top-level* S/N (signal-to-noise) ratio and rotational stability for the first time at this year’s IFA."

"Reference Class Turntable Promising Outstanding Results

The SP-10R features a brand new, coreless direct drive motor which, in addition to the two-sided rotor drive system that was used in the SL-1200G, boasts stator coils on both sides of the rotor, for a more powerful and accurate sound."

"The heavy platter features a three-layer structure consisting of brass, aluminum die-cast and deadening rubber, just like the platter of the SL-1200G. By optimising the natural frequency of each layer, external vibrations are thoroughly suppressed resulting in a beautifully clear and crisp audio experience."

"The SP-10R also features a new ultra-low-noise switching power supply, which, compared to a power supply unit using a transformer, is better at suppressing unwanted humming sounds and vibrations. The power supply unit is separate from the main turntable, preventing unwelcome noise from being transmitted to the turntable unit, for a sharper and clearer sound."

FIRST VIDEO with SP-10R:

https://youtu.be/g0AjawoIqmg

https://youtu.be/DKuYVWl8TpY

https://youtu.be/dFXzMs-fb88

https://youtu.be/0U2xkWCiQZw

P.S. Should we expect $15 000 or more ? And the new plinth comin soon?

Power supply looks funny, but the design of the drive is great, i think we should wait for the new version of the EPA-100 soon. Good news the GAE was not the last turntable !!!

128x128chakster
Dear @chakster: That's a very good news for us audiophiles in more than one way.

If Technics/Panasonic decided to " hit " the high-end audiophile market the 10R is a good point to begin with.

This company is part of the gigantic Japanese enterprise Matushita thatis one of the bigger ( if not the biggest. ) electronic corporation in the world.
This means endless human resources and money along latest technologies. They are leaders in what they market.

Now, all those resources could means nothing if Technics does not have today the very specific needs in the true and serious high-end audiophile market for each audio item that conforms an audio system but if they make its work/research and develops the TTs with that specific knowledge level then what a great notice we have here.

If Technics discover all the high-end market needs then we can say that the best time for audio is forthcoming sooner that we can imagine.

We have to remember that historical Technics designed every single audio system items where TTs was only one of those products.
They designed full electronics line, MM and LOMC cartridges, tonearms and even speakers and all their product always first rate and at the top of the top quality performance.

I hope they can do it again because that kind of action can motivate Pionner or Denon to come back to the today high-end market. Where Pionner and Denon where very competitive against Technics in those old times. We just have to remember the Exclusive line in Pioneer or DP-100 with Denon but both were in electronics and speakers too and we have to add companies as Sony or Yamaha and some other. 
All great enterprises with huge resources and very competitive in between.

An scenario with all those Japanese companies is and can be HISTORICAL for say the least and between other things means that the today extremely high price tags that every day goes higher then will go lower and lower for the top audio items will be affordable for almost all of us.

People say here in my country: " when you see your neighbour beard to cut then put yours to soak ".
So, the Technics annoucement is a very good " warning " for the today true audio high-end industry for they WAKE UP and develops the audio items the market truly needs with the rigth price tags and not following given us " MORE OF THE SAME " at every time higher prices.

As I said that 10R is a great notice for all of us. Now we have to wait a little and see if Technics decides to really stay in our market.

I really hope all those can happens ! ! ! !

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Amazing, if the GAE was just a first step and the next step in 2018 is Reference SP-10R with new Plinth and new Tonearm, i think new Cartridge from Technics is not a fantasy. I was sceptical about GAE, but now i see they are serious and gonna hit the High-End market with something we could only dream about (not so long ago). I don’t think they will pass on the cartridge releasing reference turntable, tonearm etc. Must be a giant killer! Sure shot from Matsushita! It’s a good way to celebrate 100th Anniversary.

@jpjones3318 
Putting other major Japanese based companies in the same "boat" so to speak with Technics in regards to building a new high end table is 
at the best wishful thinking.

Even back in the day there were few companies that did not outsource 
a large portion of their product line most notably the top tier turntables and tonearms Technics was one of them.
Leaving a handful at best to provide the in house talent on
a for hire basis.

I'm excited to see the latest push for Technics in the table market
but don't expect to see others rush to compete IMHO.

As chakster stated the resources and money needed are enormous 
for DD's.