Underrated jazz greats

I listen to all sorts of music, but mostly jazz. There are many musicians who, for whatever reason, don't attract the attention that their great gifts possibly deserve. I would be interested to know who others think are hidden gems in the jazz world, who have contributed substantially to the genre.

I will begin with two musicians who I believe are outstanding, and deserving of the highest recognition.

1) Lew Tabackin - an outstanding tenor player, and a phenomenal jazz flutist in my view.

2) Sir Roland Hanna - tremendous command of the keyboard, and he thought around the perimeter of pieces to make them both musically and intellectually satisfying.

Very interested in others' thoughts.
stewartr
Paul Desmond was imho a "quiet" but phenomenal genius of the sax. I also think he was the "wings beneath" Dave Brubeck. With a lesser player on sax I think much of Brubecks work wouldn't have had near the popularity and recognition. In fact, as a big fan of the Dave Brubeck Quartet-with Paul Desmond--I don't think Brubeck had anywhere near the same output- in quality, musicality, inventiveness or popularity- after Desmond. I think the gel with Desmond was "magic", pure & simple. Probably as great as any 2 collaborators.
Monty Alexander 3 alumni and bassist Paul Berner is finally getting some deserved recognition here in Europe, with his excellent Hi-res download, Road to Memphis.
The album which is best described as an''americana '' jazz sound track to the movie yet to be made of Elvis Presley's deal with the Devil( Colonel Parker) is a true gem.
There is a great interview with Mr. Berner on you tube, telling about the idea behind the album:
Paul Berner on Faust, Elvis ,Tom Parker and the Devil...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGL_RUjJHY
And there are audio examples of the album here:
http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-showcase-series/12-paul-berner-group
If I was Neil Young I'd ask Paul Berner to be allowed to license the album, this is what Hi-Res audiophile sound is all about.