Turned Off My Subwoofer ... And My Speakers Sound Great

I’ve had a pair of JA Pulsars (non-Graphene) for a couple of years now, and have been using them with a subwoofer. Today, I noticed that my Pulsars sounded very different. There was an expansion of soundstaging, the bass was more articulate and robust (i.e., it had more weight to it), and the highs really sparkled.

This was somewhat different from the sound to which I had become accustomed, so I looked on the panel and discovered that the sub had been turned off. Apparently, my wife had been dusting around my listening room and had accidentally hit the off switch.

I am kind of befuddled by this because I thought use of the subwoofer was supposed to achieve those sonically pleasing effects. Apparently not in my case. Have any ’Goners had this happen? I’m really happy with the "new" sound sans subwoofer, but continue to wonder why that is. I mean by all objective measures, the sub should improve the sound, not detract from it. I just don’t get it.
rlb61
Strangely the same thing happened to me (except for the wife part). Turned off sub for undisclosed reasons and everything sounded better. Especially gone was my OCD treatment of constantly adjusting the sub level due to each recordings emphasis (or switching between CD and Vinyl), plus, it never would blend in quite as seemlessly as I could have wished. I always heard the sub as a sub and hardly ever just let it slip into musical background. Had Sunfire, Velodyne, Polk, Monitor Audio, and others. Upgraded my speaker cables and jumpers(Tellurium Q Black II)  and rediscovered bass properly blended fitted without pronouncement in any recording. Still miss occasional inappropriate bass levels in some music genres. (Classical, dub step) Hard to blend sub with Klipsch LaScalas.
@allears4u ... I can relate to the constant futzing around with the sub settings. Ugh!
Given you have excellent speakers, known to sound 'bigger' regarding bass than their size might suggest, in such a small room I am not surprised at your experience. Many reasons have been aforementioned herein.  I think I would not trouble myself trying to integrate a sub into that room. 

have you considered that the bass output of your pulsars has increased during extended break in while using the subwoofer letting them sound better without sub?
have you condidered that the same thing happened to your subwoofer causing them to dominate? 
improvement in bass output up to and beyond 200 hours of use is common.  
time to re evaluate and adjust.