Tube recommendations for Cary Cad120s

Hi everyone i just had my first tube blow on my cary cad120s got it replaced with the same type of tube. Though wondering should a guy get the hole kt-88 set changed? On top of that any suggestions for tubes for the cad120s. I am leaning towards kt-120 which is what cary recommends? But just with my budget right now leaning toward the stock elector harminox kt88s if there any good. What are your thoughts
128x128jakecanada
I haven't used the KT 120s myself so I won't comment about using them. I have however used the Gold Lion KT-88s and think they are wonderful. A rich somewhat softer edged sound than many but does not fail in picking up detail or subtlety. I would caution you about doing something based on price, it isn't worth it. Save up or whatever but buy the best sounding tubes you can afford. Tubes really do matter!
We've re-tubes a lot of those as I've sold a bunch of those amps. KT120's would be a great move and very durable as long as you get good ones.

Get a matched octet. Not two quads. And buy one matched spare. That way if a tube fails in either channel you are handled.

You should know that KT120's vary buy 40% in how long they will last, when you buy them new. And the factory will not take them back, no matter who you are as a tube dealer.

We've addressed that problem for you.
Stock work well in mine, but I'm using Genalex Gold Lion KT88's and haven't had any problems. Always keep a spare matching set of tubes for back up. If one of your outside tubes went # 1-7 or # 2-8 you may have a cold solder joint out. People don't give this amp the credit it's due. It's a great amp especially hooked to the SLP98P. If you go with KT120's call Cary to ask what to bias them at. Good luck.