Tube Preamp for SMC Audio power amp. (300B?)

I have been using 2a3 and 300b SET for years. Unfortunately never quite enough power to rock the house so I have been using my 2a3 set as a preamp to a SMC (McCormack) DNA 0.5 (fully upgraded).

The SET has issues as a preamp and so I am looking for a tube preamp (with remote volume) to complement my SMC amp, Ayre DAC, Greenmountain EOS with RAAL Tweeters.

I have loved the sound of my 300b and am wondering  if anyone has experience with the Manley 300b preamp. Might be out of my price range so alternatives would be great.  The added value for me is I have some very nice and expensive Emissions Labs mesh 300b tubes.

Sure the SS guys say there are options that sound like tubes but my experience is there is a 3 dimensional quality to my tube amps that can be somewhat acheived with a tube preamp and Class A SS amp.

I would love to come in under $4000 and generally always buy used stuff.  Must have a remote volume (blasphemy I know), and hopefully a gentle turn on.  SMC recommends leaving the power amp on 24/7.

Thanks in advance for your useful responses.
drewh1
We wrrea manlex dealer for many Years the 300b preamp was an extroordinary preamp ane you reallh had to spend 2 to3 times more money to beat it

It was my favorite preamp sadly we dopredsjednik manley no marketing no shows so we got very lttle consumer demand

Just fired up our demo Last week for a client same panoramic soundstage zonal watmzthwith good detail I will miss this preamp when it is sold  from a business stand point manly labs should market wa y more afressively

Dave and Troy
Audiointellect Nj
Former manley dealers
conrad johnson premer 17ls2, 16ls or et5

audio research reference 2 or 3 (may be a lil above your budget)

more modern VAC if you can find one around 4 grand

don sachs linestage for a bit of a homebrew feel - less $, around 2 grand

a later model cary for a softer sound

own or have owned all the above

another one to consider is a herron, but i haven’t had one

others will recommend manley, quicksilver, rogue - they seems to have good reputations, i have not owned
I’d save some $ and buy a Sachs Custom Linestage. You’ll be thrilled. He offers a 14-day trial period to prove me right. Heh heh. Best of luck in your search.  BTW, I assume you’ve checked the input impedance of your upgraded 0.5?  Some of Steve’s mods result in pretty low numbers. 
Post removed 
Thanks for the feedback - I have been doing research and am very interested in the Dehavilland, either model.   Dehavilland is not building right . Sachs is not taking orders now either. The Manley looks great but is a bit out of my budget.  

I think I am going to look for a used Dehavilland. I really like the 6NS7 tube, nice to roll, not as expensive as the 300b.

If any of you hear of one for sale, I would appreciate a message.  Thanks! 
Audiotroy - thanks for your helpful feedback.  Very direct and useful.  I am not sure if these hit the market used but I'll keep my eyes open.

drew.
One other question - to those of you who use the Don Sachs - any issues with power on, noise, surge etc.  The SMC guys are concerned about tube preamps having power up issues.

thanks.
Soix - I just talked to Pat at SMC.  The standard RCAs are 100k, apparently the  balanced inputs have a lower impedance.  I do not have balanced inputs on my amp.

drew.
So you’ll want to go with a preamp with about 10kOhm output impedance or preferably less. BTW, there’s a Sachs pre on US Audio Mart for $2150.  A pre I’d look at would be the Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL.  Best of luck in your search.
soix - I checked that Sachs on Audio Mart, 4 yo and only $500 cheaper than the newest version. I checked with Don and he is not offering any more upgrades for that one, so I pulled the trigger and got on his waiting list - sounds like December. I have a DIY Pass buffered pre so I'll immerse myself in SS so that the DS will sound even better when it gets here.

Thanks again for your input.
yes tell don what is the input impedance of the amp you are feeding he will suggest the correct capacitors

his older and newer versions of the linestage are very similar in sound... mostly the features different... newer ones has fancier display but loses the balance control... for those who value that to center the image this can be significant