The Slow Secret Death of the Guitar

A really fascinating piece on the current state of the guitar industry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/...
128x128jond
While the article is interesting (and accurate) it really should not come as too much of a surprise to us, since the acknowledged guitar gods are only one facet of the overall of what we've really been in decline with and that is rock or pop musicians who are talented with their (physical) lead or rhythm instruments in general.

The lure, after all, of making music by computer is not that it's 'just as good as guitar', it's really the implied promise that you don't Have to spend all those years learning how to play Really well.

But, based on all that has musically come of it so far, I'd say that maybe the computer is still proving to be the most difficult musical instrument to learn yet. ;>)
The electric guitar was the dominant technological innovation in musical instruments from+/- 1935 to 1970.  After that, keys and digital technologies replaced it.  So, no huge surprise - sunrise, sunset.
Just listen to anything by the Chainsmokers if you want to know everything that's wrong with music.  Not wrong, actually, just why things are the way they are.  You only have to listen to one song because they're all the same.  
Some good posts here and glad I posted that link. I was just amazed to read it I guess I listen to so little "popular" music I didn't realize how little guitar is being played. The part about Taylor Swift just cracks me up I have to say.
Anyone want to buy my Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster guitars?  Happy Playing!