Technics SP-10 Tonearm Pod instead of Plinth/Base

Trawling through the Audiogon forums for information on a suitable Plinth for a Technics SP-10, I came across a post by Raul.
Instead of putting the SP-10 in a plinth, he just put the TT on three feet and then had constructed a separate base that only housed the tonearm. (I haven't seen a pic of this BTW)
Following on from Raul's 'Thinking outside the square' approach, I thought I might be able to buy, or have made, a stand-alone 'pod' or rectangular tonearm plinth that could sit along side the SP-10. Has anyone seen something like this that I could buy 'off-the-shelf'?
The advantage of this is that the tonearm is decoupled from the TT and therefore distanced from any vibrations generated by the TT.
A down side is getting the right geometry for the tonearm in relation to the distance from the spindle; and then keeping the pod in the right spot.
If this is all too hard, I might still go with a plinth. I notice an E-Bay seller in Taiwan is offering a Teak plinth cut for the SP-10. Anyone bought one of those?
All comments welcomed!
dsa
Dsa - not sure I can add any value to the SME thread.

I own the Ortofon AS-309 12 inch arm. Sounds fine with rock/alternative however. Just been playing some new Morrissey & Bloody Beetroots on it.
Who said SPU's can't rock!!
Dsa, You wrote, "I'm talking about a small operator who buys 2nd hand (or new) SL1200s, pulls them apart and re-births them as a top flight deck with a different arm, plinth, power supply etc." By the time they did that, why bother with the SL1200 at all? And you left out the element that makes the biggest difference between, say, an SP10 Mk2 and an SL1200 - the motor. Fact is it would be best to start with a clean sheet, if you want to transcend the SL1200 by a wide margin, and then you are inevitably going to be the in Grand Prix Monaco price category. The SL1200 is capable of fine performance and will probably have to do for those who insist on buying new gear. By the way, if the business you specifically named were to get into the SL1200 upgrade game, the resulting modifications would probably cost enough to pay for an excellent SP10 Mk2. I think they already have a $400 bearing upgrade available, or so I have read.
Downunder: That's just the sort of comments I'm looking for! Put it up there. There many jazz, Weavers and 'Famous Blue Raincoat' lovers out there and I read their comments all the time. However, what about the music lovers who dig a massive bass-line, big drums and huge dynamics?

Some arms are good on acoustic music, voice etc but come undone when called upon to 'get up and boogie'. For example, pace, rhythm and timing can be lost in transit across the grooves. Other arms are good on the highs and mids, but have little or flabby bass- some unitpivots fall in this camp. Full orchestral music is perhaps the best test for any rig, but playing dance, rock and alternative music well is also desired in an arm. I want an arm that can do both, and do it well.

Lewm: OK- a good SP-10 goes for about $1,000 to $1,500. Then you add a plinth ($400-$2,000 ish), then an arm ($300 to $5,000), renovation work on caps, bearing oil, etc etc ($300 to who knows where) Get my drift? That SP-10 (with, granted, a u-beaut motor) is now getting into high-end price territory.

Now, buy a second hand SL1200 MK2 ($500 ish, it can be beaten up- who cares?). Remove the motor and electronics, build a plinth, build the outboard PSU, sell with provision to carry a Rega (that would encompass the Origin Live models too) and 9" SMEs. The customer could also specify a 12" arm.

It could be done on an exchange basis. (this is how the Origin Live started with their RB250/300 arms mods) You provide the SL1200, a cool small operator could do the work and give you back a bloody good TT. Alternatively, they sell the lot as a kit for OS customers or the DIYers.

I reckon the right operator with the right connections could offer the above for about $1,000 complete. Nothing fancy. Not high-end. Yet, it would blow a Rega P3 or a low/mid priced Thorens and other entry level TTs into the weeds!

There are millions of SL1200s out there just waiting....
I don't know if it was stated above but the SL-1000 was the SP-10MKII with the base, dustcover and arm included.
I suggest u look up turntable dot it or google reed tonearm. The manufacturer of reed tonearm do produce tonearm pod/ base or turret . It's make of certain matrixes, cork and stainless steel. Beautiful and not too expensive . From my friends experiment with Garrard 401, it's seems isolated base is the way to go. I hve not set up mine on a Garrard 301 yet while waiting for Mark Kelly psu and finally decide to build a birch ply base even though I would prefer a slate plinth which unfortunately is difficult to come by in my country . Buying a slate plinth with shipping due to it's weight wld be pretty expensive