Technics 1200GR Owners

I’ve just recently bought a 1200GR, and a Zu Denon 103.  I’d be curious what others think of the table and it’s sound who have had it a while and if there are any suggestions you would like to share to get the best out of it. 

Just for for reference sake my main rig is a VPI Prime with Eagle PSU and Roadrunner tach, two belts with HRX Pulley and Soundsmith Carmen II. 
last_lemming

Showing 8 responses by last_lemming

” Using conical tip nowadays is very strange decision. “

It might be strange but I picked it for very specific reason. The speakers are the Thiel CS 2.4’s and they can tend to sound bright in my room. With the 103 I don’t really perceive the rolled off highs but a more neutral sound. As for the bass I’ve done back and forth comparisons with the Dynavector 20x2L and both produce about the same amount of bass and bass quality - for the most part. I use a Zupreme headshell and use the extra counter weight as well. My preamp is a BAT VK-3ix and I use a Parasound A21 amp with PAD speaker cable. The phono is the dynavector P75 mk3.

I was thinking of trying and Audio Technica MM cart but I’m not sure which one would be the best fit because I’m not that familiar with that line.
Chak

Thank you for your informative response. I have heard good things about those carts that you recommend. However I would rather keep my budget around $300 - $400 at the most at this point. I’ve pretty much blown through my budget. If I’m going to experiment with a new MM cart is there another cart you would suggest? 
Well Chak, I took the plunge on the Glanz MFG-610LX. I couldn’t find much on it, but what I did find was very good. 
One question I do have about the Glanz is it has an output of 3.5 mV. My Dynavector P75 phono pre only lists up to 2 mV with 40 db of gain. Will I hav too much output from the cart or will I just not half to turn up the volume as much to achieve the same loudness?
"Any comments on how the 1200GR compares to your main Prime rig? I've seen a few people go from a Prime to 1200G so I'd love to know how the GR holds up." 

It's hard for me to compare since each TT is on a different system. B
BUT if I was pressed I'd say the big differences are the Prime has more air and soundstage, and the GR has more punch and presence. 
So I got the Glanz MFG 610LX up and running today. Thanks Chakster for the recommendation. Less than an hour, but so far very impressed. Sounds very natural.