Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Hmm, if a fuse is made to be a sacrificial component, as proffered by georgehifi, then wouldn't it make sense to make one of higher quality?
It wouldn't degrade as quickly, if ever.

As for the ones that blew instantly, aren't those rather rare compared to the vast majority of fuses sold? And didn't someone, earlier on in this thread, say that not all amps turn on the same and the inrush of current is not the same from different makes? I seem to remember someone talking of a brand with different models that behaved differently. Fuses blew and fuses didn't simply dealing with different models of the same component. And didn't someone offer that going up just a bit in value seems to do the trick for the ones that easily blow without detriment?

Some tubes fail soon after insertion for no apparent reason. Some other components do as well. Crappy fuses have been made for a long time so it's rather easy to assure the most basic performance needed during manufacture due to the lower standards involved. Pound them out. Almost uniform performance after purchase is a given and nothing to really brag about.

Some failures are to be expected. So what? People have gotten their money back or the fuse replaced and viola! It works.

All the best,
Nonoise
mac48025                     03-14-2017

Reading your post is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

The SR Black fuses and the Black outlets make my system sound way better. If offered a full refund in exchange for surrendering these items after lo these many months, I would respectfully decline. Ain't nobody's business but my own....
Asking for a bit of help here, this is thread on fuses right? lol
Does ANYBODY know what fuse should be in the McIntosh C48 preamp?
I cannot find this info in the manual or on the Mc site or by Google search.
I would rather order one first before doing the double step of removing from rack opening up , replacing etc.
The C46 has a nice little fuse holder on the back even labeled with type of fuse, the C48? No such luck!
So if anybody knows just what fuse is in the C48 I sure would appreciate it!