Supex 900 question

Hi,
I recently came into a Supex 900 Super. Compared to an AT150MLX I have, it sounds warm, smooth, full bodied. The AT is much more three dimensional, airy and transparent.

When I run them both on the Hi-Fi News Test Record, the AT tracks like a champ. No problem with tracks 6-8. The Supex on the other hand only tracks 6 and buzzes substantially on 7 and 8. Both were set up with a Mint LP protractor. The Supex though was much more difficult to align because the cantilever is more pushed back and shorter. I think I got it right, maybe not quite as exact, but certainly better than I could with a worse protractor.

Are these tracking problems symptoms that the Supex may have suspension issues and need to be rebuilt? Or are they traditionally poor trackers?

I would love to get that smooth sound with a little more of the transparency of the AT.

Thanks,
Greg
gregmeier

Showing 1 response by sarah2

I'm pushing 2.25 grams and it tracks through 6 & 7 fine but not 8. The warmth and smoothness of this cartridge is very seductive, not muddy. Very balanced sounding. You have to load it @ 40ohms at least with 15 to 20ohms being best. SUT loading. Transparency is not it's thing but again oh so seductive. It pushed my Dyna DV20XL out the door.