Speaker Placement and Toe-In

I just spent hours moving my Sopra 2’s with them sitting on the Townshend’s podiums #3. I kept intense measurements. My speakers are 115" from the woofer center to the other speaker woofer. I am sitting at that same distance from the L&R speakers’ middle centerline. They are 37" from the sidewalls to the sidewalls of the speaker.

I used one of those air bladder wedges that are used for lifting car doors and lifted each leg individually of the Townshend podium just enough to slide a furniture mover/disc under each leg.

What I found is that I prefer no Toe-In. That is, I prefer the speakers straight out into the room.

At least at this moment I am content.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

The center image does actually move around depending on the recording. Sometimes one of the instruments will switch sides too,maybe an accident when mixing. I am either cursed or blessed with a square room. One of my speakers is toed out ! slightly and the other one straight ahead. Looks strange but sounds wonderful.Each speaker is pointed towards a doorway.

You're not "there" until you adjust the RAKE of your speakers.  The vertical orientation can certainly be enlightening.  Case in point (pun intended): MartinLogan hybrids...

Post removed 

So as everything with this hobby (at least for me) changes with time, I have now toed the speakers (slightly) and yes, I now prefer them that way.

Although getting the symmetry right is very important.

ozzy

@ozzy 

Congrats to you for sticking with it- my room was pretty challenging so I hired an acoustic analyst to work it out. Thought I’d send this your way though- similar to what has been discussed previously but with a little less ratio. I prefer a 1.1 ratio in my setup.

WASP Setup