Soundsmith dl103r vs. Dynavector 17d3 ruby ?

Hi all , I've been enjoying a soundsmith (level 2 ruby line contact) dl103r for the last year… I absolutely loved it, and hated letting it go.
Recently had an opportunity to buy a dyna 17d karat with a ruby cantilever. I'm wondering how they compare,, anyone have any insight or experience?
Thanks, Harv.
hxt1

Showing 1 response by geoch

Are you shure about ruby on the DV17D3 ?
Can you see the red cantilever ?
My own experience is limited at comparing the DL103 vs DV17D2mkII.
There is not much to compare between them.
The amount of info at HF was multiplied by 3
The speed & detail also
Both are exiting cartridges each one with it's own merits but the Dyna prefers a monitoring view while the Denon is a different animal, more upfront & perhaps more balanced but less definition of fine detail.
The body, clarity, power strength & soundstage are equal : not SOTA but true to the music & almost complete.
Both are excellent values but I would not compromise my source with anything less than the Denon DLS1. Same price with the Dyna but better.
Now... Between DL304 & DV17D2mkII that's a tough one !
I tend to prefer the DL103R over the DL304. Not by much, but I think it is a little more refined. I suppose with a ruby cantilever will be even more so, must betters the DV17 hands down.
Of course the diamond (KARAT) cantilever of the DV17 is not the limiting factor, neither I think that a custom Ruby cantilever could be an upgrade over the Diamond. Even more if it is longer than the standard 1.7mm
Again...Are you shure about it ?