Sota or Technics

Hello all, first time post here. 
I am in the market for a new TT under 2k. I've narrowed it down to the Sota Comet and the Technics 1200GR.
Going to use a $300 to $500 MM cart. 
System consists of NAD533 TT (currently). NAD pre amp, Cambridge Phono pre amp, Mac 240 amp, TDL compact monitors. 
Sota i like as it uses the 330 tonearm, is built in the states, solid rep, solid support, is pleasing to the eye.
Technics I like as it's built like a tank, seems more plug and play has a good rep and looks good too. (more bells and whistles, both positive and negatives there)
Obviously they are different in some ways. Direct drive vs belt etc..
Was wondering if anyone had an opinion either way on either deck. Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Thank you
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xdoyle3433
If I had to choose between these t.t.s I would go with the SOTA. In fact I would avoid the Technics. However my first choice would another brand.
@lewm , Yes, I have that skill set. I do not have to listen to that  arm. I can see it. I do not understand how a smart guy like you can't tell by looking at a very simple device why it might be inferior. The RB 300 has it's deficiencies but is handily a better design than the Technics arm. But the single most significant problem with that turntable is that it is in no way shape or form isolated the way a proper turntable should be. A cartridge in that arm, on that turntable is still reading a lot of environmental garbage that it should not be. The Comet being unsuspended is probably no better in that regard but at least it has an arm without unnecessary contacts and with reasonably low moment of inertia.
@lewm, If you have a direct drive table could you do us a favor? Take the platter off, hover the cartridge over the motor about two inches from the spindle at platter height, turn the motor on and turn up the volume. You hear anything?
Love my SOTA Nova, and agree with mijostyn3 that the Sapphire is where you need to start in the brand. And don't get an ugly oak or black finish; live a little and get it in a beautiful exotic wood! The RB300 or various Jelcos arms are good, or better yet if you find a deal on a used Fidelity Research FR64fx that arm will be amazing on a SOTA.

If you're strictly sticking to your budget and those 2 models, I'd be more inclined to try the Technics. But there are loads of used SOTAs out there and refurb/service options through SOTA too. Just be aware the older Sapphires had a 3-point suspension; the 4-point of Star/Nova models and modern Sapphires is better. But hey, even an old Sapphire will be pretty nice once tuned up.

Don't underestimate the value of SOTA's suspension; you can almost completely screw up your rack/isolation scheme and still be OK with a SOTA whereas the same platform would be a train wreck for other tables.