Silver v Copper wire phono cable

Getting ready to order new tonearm, have option for either copper or silver continuous phono cable from cartridge to preamp.  without the  opportunity to compare personally, I would like to hear how others would chose....my system is shown on this site...thank you

J

128x128jw944ts

Actually the most significant difference between the Reed 2G and 3P is that the horizontal motion bearings use a sapphire cup and needle point in the 2G, but in the 3P the horizontal motion bottom bearing uses magnetic repulsion. This allows for azimuth on the fly.

That means the 2G is mechanically grounded, whereas the 3P is not - its held up by magnetic repulsion.

Some folk report that the 3P sounds more natural (softer), but in my view the 2G

should be more accurate.

@dover , thx for that info…”should be more accurate”….not quite as important as sounds better

There is nothing "bad" about silver plated copper wires, speaker cable or interconnects....QED has made many of their cables in this fashion, and many have won awards. A good example would be QED silver anniversary xt.....some here have no idea what they are speaking of....also, Ortofon uses silver plated copper in some of there higher end cartridges, the 2m bronze and black. Two highly regarded cartridges. 

@dover , It is attraction not repulsion with that are sort of like the Schroder Reference arm but, you are right it is not a solid connection and it will have a resonance point. 

It is useless to talk about they way things sound. There is way too much variation involved for a multitude of reasons. 

From a purely design perspective the 2G is a better are. I am not saying the 3P is a bad arm but it does violate several aspects of tonearm design including the one Dover just mentioned. 

@jw944ts , My first Porsche was a 944 turbo. What a car.

The Oracle is very much a descendent of the AR XA as is my Sota. You are right 9 inch arms only. But there is one issue you have to be really careful with. Arms with VTA towers weight more and Reeds may weight more than your suspension can take. You have to look for that spec or call Oracle to check and compare with the arm's total weight including the cartridge. Get back to me with that data and we can discuss it. I have always seen that table with SMEs installed and the SME is a much lighter arm than either Reed.