Seeking Legit Cartridge Expert?

Anyone out there have a reputable guy who knows the nuances of carts in the $2000+ range? So many opinions.....

current set up 

VPI Super Prime Scot / 10.5 arm

Hana ML

Harbeth 40.3XD 

What's going to drastically improve my sound / detail....mostly listen to Hard Rock, Zeppelin etc....

Thanks! 

128x128tommypenngotti

@theflattire Having a used Cart' overhauled can prove to be a very cost effective method into getting a Cart' in use that is beyond ones usual budget allowance.

I myself have quite a few hours under my belt discussing this method with Third Party Services that do this work.

It is worth noting that many Cart's deteriorate fast in a typical environment to a condition that will be very detrimental to how the Cart's was designed to perform. This can mean a retip, is only one of the tasks needing to be undertaken by a Third Party Rebuild Service.

As a suggestion, I would take on a similar preparation as to the one I last used for a rebuild. I selected a rebuild service that was very familiar with the Brand and Models from the Brand of the Cart' I was showing an interest in. Using this method of approach, I was informed of rebuild options on a extended range of Cart's that could be worked on to offer a very similar voicing to the Cart' I was interested in.

In my case I was assured by the Rebuild Service that a method they use for a particular Cart' has proven to be even more impressive than that of the manufacturers version.

I selected replacement Damping very closely comparative to the material used on the Brands TOTR Cart's from the time of the rebuild. I also chose a Styli>Cantilever assembly not used by the Brand but the rebuild technicians recommendation.

This Cart's has been in comparisons to Cart's from the Brand up to $5K retail on the same TT > TA and system, as well as much more expensive Cart's at another venue where comparisons are allowed on the same TT>TA and System, if Cart's are brought along pre-mounted on an SME Detachable Headshell. 

The Cart' in total cost less than a £1000 inclusive of Donor purchase, the Cart' is hard to criticise if a leaner presentation is ones flavour, even when in use along side Cart's being demo'd that are much much more expensive as a retail purchase.

I today have two more donor models with designs for them already discussed and agreed to be carried out. One such design is to bypass the Cart's Tag Wire Pins, using a connection using much more attractive wire to my preferences, being PC Triple C/EX. Acoustic Revive are charging a $1000 for Tag Wires produced from the same material. SAEC and are the only Commercial Company I known offerr offering PC Triple C/EX Interconnects @ $1500 for 0.5mtr and are also using TA Wand Wire that is PC Triple C, which is the Wand Wire to be used on my own TA.

Being brave with the designs for a Cart' can become infectious, where there is little resistance showed to the idea of design changes spreading through to the designs to be put in place for the Cart's signal path 😉        .

Miyajima Kansui or Fuuga 

there are a lot of options depending on your taste but at least look for high output that will help 

“Legit” is just a social media trope. Anyways… don’t rule out the widely acclaimed AT VM540ML. That’s what I use to listen to Zeppelin and a lot of other guitar-centric classic rock. As a bonus, its micro line stylus life is twice that of most other premium stylus profiles including Shibata.