SACD feature of Sony DVP-S9000ES

So how good is it really? I have this player and a few SACD's, but I have never heard Sony's 777 or SCD-1 players. Just curious if the SACD feature of this DVD player holds real quality (parts) or I should just consider it a novelty addition.
argent

Showing 1 response by tommart

I own a S9000ES. I've heard the Sony players and the Marantz SA-1, but I've never compared them in my home.
-
The S9000ES was designed by a different division that designed the rest of the Sony players, so it does not have many, if any, of the same parts.

To sum what I've heard and read, it has a better bass that the 333 and more accurate mid-range than all 3 Sony SACD players. However, all 3 Sonys have cleaner resolution and the SCD-1 and 777 may have slightly better dynamics. Not by a lot. Some people have sold their SCD 1 or 777 and have purchased the 9000 and have been very heppy. The difference is not that great, but there is a difference.

A $1500 DVD player with SACD option should not sound as good as a $5000 CD/SACD player.

That said, I've very pleased with my S9000ES. The CD and DVD-Video audio is so much better than my previous player. And I own the Miles Davis CD, Billy Joel CD and Willie Nelson CD that has cuts on the SACD sampler disc. The SACD cuts are clearly better.

I do not believe that the 9000 SACD option is a novelty, and it sonics likely will be vastly superior to the $400 and $800 CD/SACD player to come out this summer. I also suspect that shortly, Sony will be offering SACD on lesser-priced Sony DVD players. These two will likely have lower quality sonics.