Rowland Model 6 + b&W 804s a good match?

Hi.

I've been searching threads re Rowland and B&W and found tidbits indicating it is a great match, but then never found much more than tidbits. I'm wondering if anybody here has been able to audition these, or runs such combination. I'm considering JRDG Model 6 for my 804s.

I read referrals from people saying these Rowlands sound a lot like tubes in the mid and higher frequencies. I've auditioned Classe and McIntosh and prefer the latter way better. Many also describe solid state Mac sound as tube-like, so I'm wondering what Rowlands might do for me. Unfortunately there's no place for me to audition these.

Thanks!
lewinskih01

Showing 2 responses by raquel

Using Model 6's with B&W 804's would be a mismatch -- Model 6's are among the small handful of finest solid-state amps ever made, while B&W 804's are at best an average hi-fi speaker. Model 6's deserve really high-end speakers.
My post came across as ill-mannered and I apologize. What I meant to say is that the Model 6, which retailed for over $16k when it was introduced ten years ago, occupies a different market segment than a speaker that retailed for $3,500 -- that is what I meant by "mismatch". I meant no disrespect to B&W.

When run with the battery power supplies and with fully differential balanced front-end equipment, the Model 6's are bested by only a couple of solid-state amps. They are not, as one poster above stated, bass challenged -- they can swing 35 amps continuous (few amps can do that). Rowland 6/8/9 have trouble with bass? Sir, with all due respect, you are quite mistaken!

Your question: the sound signature of this vintage of Rowland? Very high resolution, warmish mids, powerful bass, slightly truncated highs. Overall, musical. Also, great build quality and not ass-ugly like a lot of equipment.