Rowland Model 6 + b&W 804s a good match?

Hi.

I've been searching threads re Rowland and B&W and found tidbits indicating it is a great match, but then never found much more than tidbits. I'm wondering if anybody here has been able to audition these, or runs such combination. I'm considering JRDG Model 6 for my 804s.

I read referrals from people saying these Rowlands sound a lot like tubes in the mid and higher frequencies. I've auditioned Classe and McIntosh and prefer the latter way better. Many also describe solid state Mac sound as tube-like, so I'm wondering what Rowlands might do for me. Unfortunately there's no place for me to audition these.

Thanks!
lewinskih01
Using Model 6's with B&W 804's would be a mismatch -- Model 6's are among the small handful of finest solid-state amps ever made, while B&W 804's are at best an average hi-fi speaker. Model 6's deserve really high-end speakers.
Raquel,

Point taken. I was hoping you would chime in, as I've seen a number of your posts in connection with Model 6.

Would you suggest using Model 2 with the 804s then? Or other Rowland amp? Do you believe Rowland sound is a good match for these speakers?

Thanks.
04-04-08: Raquel
Using Model 6's with B&W 804's would be a mismatch -- Model 6's are among the small handful of finest solid-state amps ever made, while B&W 804's are at best an average hi-fi speaker. Model 6's deserve really high-end speakers.
Raquel (Threads | Answers)

mismatch between amplifier and speaker happens for other reasons and not for reasons indicated above. That statement can not be more untrue.

Get the best amplifier you can afford for your B&Ws. Your 804 are fine speakers and if you pair them with an average amplifier, you will get them to sound average. It is a matter finding a best match. I have N803 and every time I upgraded an amplifier, it felt like I upgraded an entire system. B&Ws are very revealing. They will show you the slightest change you make. Amplifier for B&Ws is one if the most important, if THE most important, components.
If Rowland 6 is what you want and can afford, I can't see why not try it.
I own the Model 6's now and use them because they do sound musical for a solid state amp and offer the ease of solid state over tubes. However, the Zu Definition speaker I own has an internal amp to drive the Definition's four 10 inch woofers so I don't tax the JRDG 6's with bass control demands. I had B&W 801 Matrix III's years ago and tried the JRDG model 7's or 9's (monoblocks) that were 350 watts a side and I didn't think they controlled the bass well at all. I finally bought a Krell KSA-250 to control the 12 inch woofer of the 801. I don't know how big the woofer on the 804 is, but one criticism of the 6's is the bass control.
Hifimaniac: The 804s have 2 6" woofers, so not big at all. These are usually not so difficult to drive, although they can always use some help in deep bass generation. The biggest issue with these speakers I believe is the tweeter, which can sound harsh with brighter amps. Hence the 804s tend to sound good with tubes or "tube-like" solid state, like McIntosh. Since I cannot audition Rowlands I am out seeking people's opinions. McIntosh is my option, from what I did audition.

Audphile1: I understand what you say. I'm wondering about the Model 6 sound signature matching with the 804s.

Thanks all for the opinions!
My post came across as ill-mannered and I apologize. What I meant to say is that the Model 6, which retailed for over $16k when it was introduced ten years ago, occupies a different market segment than a speaker that retailed for $3,500 -- that is what I meant by "mismatch". I meant no disrespect to B&W.

When run with the battery power supplies and with fully differential balanced front-end equipment, the Model 6's are bested by only a couple of solid-state amps. They are not, as one poster above stated, bass challenged -- they can swing 35 amps continuous (few amps can do that). Rowland 6/8/9 have trouble with bass? Sir, with all due respect, you are quite mistaken!

Your question: the sound signature of this vintage of Rowland? Very high resolution, warmish mids, powerful bass, slightly truncated highs. Overall, musical. Also, great build quality and not ass-ugly like a lot of equipment.