Room acoustics - Spending and sound videos

HI all,
Because I’m one of their top social media influencers (hahahaha) GIK acoustics sent me a couple of videos which go to some topics we’ve had recently about budgeting for room acoustics and how a room sounds with/without room treatment. While I am a fanboy, these are vendor videos so take with appropriate skepticism.

Budgeting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFg2IXT9wU&feature=youtu.be

Sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9u6rvWSTDM&feature=youtu.be

Even though this is a vendor video, the dollar amounts suggested here are far far less than we've seen in some discussions. 

erik_squires
I want to add a few recent lessons as a newbie. I have not yet purchased anything from a vendor. If any of this sounds wrong, I would appreciate correction.

If one reviews user posts about room treatment, many are content. Still, many also tell stories of buying a lot of stuff that they didn't wind up needing. They overspent in part because of the advice they got from vendors. This is not necessarily because of vendor incompetence or greed (though that happens) but because the vendor wants to make sure a difference is made, and that results in overkill. This pattern recurs in reader comments. 

The basics of what is problematic with rooms is easy to learn and there are many videos which explain it well. Speaker and listening position changes have an enormous impact. They MUST be worked at before contacting vendors, or vendors may assume one's problem is worse than it is.

Non-basic room analysis and experiment is very complicated. It will likely require expert help to reach beyond some basic band aids unless users are willing to really school themselves.

There are many experts on forums willing to answer questions with their own expertise. People are generous and kind much of the time.

DIY is quite doable for some of this. Maybe not all, but costs can be seriously defrayed by a trip to Lowes.

Even if one knows they will go to an expert/vendor, basic preparation can avoid the problems listed first, above. That preparation includes learning a bit, reading a bit, and playing with room analysis software to see what the biggest problems are. Then, one can proceed stepwise by starting with the biggest problems, first. No need to go whole hog all at once. Better to do something and see how it suits.

i’m in the middle of the ordering process with GIK for my separate Home Theater room and got those same videos.

i’ve spent the last 16 years tweaking my dedicated acoustically designed 2 channel room so i have some level of understanding about room acoustics, but don’t consider myself any expert. GIK seems to be pretty competent, and while not cheap, i view their products and services as good values.

we will see after i’m done what i think.

my 2 channel room in my barn (the one listed here on Audiogon) has almost the whole room with built in diffusion. so the ’bones’ are almost perfect. my Home Theater room in my main house is a more standard domestic room; with a large window and patio doors. all i can do is to improve things, it will never be perfect like my 2-channel room.

but also the Home Theater room had 15 speaker channels and 3 subwoofers (9.3.6) with an all dsp signal path (Trinnov Altitude 16) so the dsp can 'fix' things. my 2 channel room has a pure analog signal path. the room has to be right fundamentally.......no dsp to fix it.
I do agree with the start small and grow your acoustics, and I think some of the rooms shown in the GIK demo were overtreated. There is however a minimum critical mass IMHO when it comes to room treatment. Treating bass requires big traps, and that is expensive, and it’s a shame a lot of poeple never hear how good a room can be with them, especially when it comes to giving small speakers a big speaker sound.

In the scale of $20K speakers and amps though, I don’t think investing $2-5k in your average listening room is a bad idea at all.

Best,
Erik
Room treatment is the most critical piece that most folks should have at least a bit of budget when designing a new room. At the same time it is important to experiment and find out "where" to place the treatment. Over treating kills the sound - speaking from experience here. Also, when you change the speakers or speaker positions, adjust the treatments accordingly. My current issue is with the ceiling reflection on the left speaker. The right side is fine, but the slight drop in the ceiling on the left side does not make the sound to appear to come from 3-4 feet outside the speaker boundary, like it does for the right side speaker. Not sure if a ceiling treatment would help, since it would make the ceiling even lower.